Rumor: The Future Of GH

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Re AMC fans moving on: I think it was obvious to a lot of us last fall that PP was not going to build a successful show around Ryan, Cara and Jesse. As more stories came out about how ABC jerked around the actors in the show's final years, it was clear a lot of them were burned out, and I think that made fans more understanding about their hesitancy to sign on to PP.

I think the harder pill to swallow for AMC fans is that OLTL characters have been given a chance to live on in Port Charles, while AMC's characters are left behind, and the history of crossover characters like Anna is completely ignored by GH writers. Anna HAD a child die. She and David buried their beloved daughter, and GH is currently pretending it never happened. That's insulting. Not that GH cares what AMC fans think, but still...

On the one hand, some of us would love to see AMC characters turn up in Port Charles, David Hayward at the top of the list. On the other hand, given how completely GH is disregarding Anna's history in Pine Valley, I cringe to think what GH would do to AMC characters. Although...if they wanted to bring Zach over and have him as one of Sonny's partners, I'd be fine with that. He acted like enough of a thug that he might as well go full mobster.

• Members

I would love for GH to bring over David, Cara and Griffin from AMC. It truly then would be a true hybrid of the ABC soaps. As far as GAA I'm not sure what this means if anything. GH is showing improvements and if that can continue I don't think it will be cancelled right now.

• Members

Why not bring characters from Ryan's Hope, Guiding Light, Another World and As the World Turns too? Maybe even Search for Tomorrow, Santa Barbara and Passions? It could be all the soaps all the time!!

NOT! Sorry. I don't want anymore characters from any other soap. I just want GH characters. Is that too much to ask on a show called General Hospital?

• Members

^ No, it's not too much to ask, and frankly, if I were a long-time GH fan, I'd share your frustration. But, OLTL and AMC were both cancelled, and you have an AMC character, David, who is a doctor, who had some sort of mob connection, and who was married to a GH vet character who used to be on AMC, and whose history with that character, Anna, has been trashed by the current writers... while OLTL characters with no established connection to GH are filling up the episodes now, apparently only because the TPTB at GH used to work at OLTL. Can you not see why some AMC fans are upset about this? Why bring over OLTL characters at all? But if you're going to do it, David would have made a hell of a lot more sense than any of these characters who've come from OLTL.

• Members

ITA and I'm amazed that more people aren't saying it but I think that GH's remaining audience is made up of mainly of people mainly of who watch out of habit and/or hope. Everybody else has been tuning out over the years just like they have for the rest of the genre.

I know a lot of AMC fans would like to see GH bring on AMC characters but I'm not one of them. It's like saying "We know the ratings for Private Practice are dropping so we're going to fill it up with characters from House! Everyone will love that!" I don't see how that is a recipe for anything but resentment. The last I saw these characters they were being co-written by Agnes Nixon. I sure as hell don't want to see RC's version of that. I'm also not interested in the inevitable fanwars that would ensue since that's really all soaps are anymore...one long, non-stop fanwar.

• Members

@JimRomanovich Whats ur take on GH Vs GMA. Some Say Gh could still be off ABC in Sept. I say January at earliest if GMA succeeds. Thoughts?

@johnwalterseip The only things that are certain are death and taxes. Given that, it's all up for grabs. BUT, I think GH will be around

Ryan's Hope could cause ABC owns that But any P&G show wont happen unless P&G sells ABC the characters they would want

• Members

I hated Cara, Theresa, and Adrianna. I don't want want LH on this show. Also did not care for Griffin. They better not dare bring over AE with her campy 80s acting to play Tina(or was it Tawnie, how about Rebecca, it's hard to tell when she plays the same character all the time)

Archived