When you watch a character for the actor only

• Members

We've probably talked about this a few (dozen) times, so this may be locked, I don't know, but there isn't a lot else to say anyway.

Who were the soap characters you liked almost solely because of the actor who played them, enough to make you get over (or try to get over) horrendous writing?

Very high on my list would probably be Dixie on AMC. I could understand why many fans hated her, but I was often very touched by Cady McClain's work in the role. There were times when she became cold and hard, but unlike some actors (Beth Ehlers, Laura Wright) she never really lost the heart in her work.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I don't think I have ever watched a character for an actor. I love Tristan Rogers on GH but never thought about watching Y&R because he was on it. It is the character I always see first and that leads me to liking the actor. However, if a recast happens and the new actor turns me off, then I can become so indifferent that the character no longer interests me. On OLTL I liked Sarah Buchanan a lot, then a terrible recast came along and that was that. However there were always characters that it didn't matter who played them. Kevin Buchanan was always Kevin Buchanan no matter what, and each actor felt like the real Kevin to me. Same for Joey. Jerry Van Dorn I like well enough, but he played Clint Lord, not Clint Buchanan.

• Members

Go ahead and start throwing tomatoes now, but Laura Wright is the only reason I have watched this show for as long as I have. Love her Carly more than so many things. In fact, I never cared for the character until she came on. However, Ron's writing (if you want to call it that) has turned me off!

Would I follow her to another show? Not sure as my only interest in LW is as Carly. Didn't care for Cassie on GL at all.

I can't think of any day timer that I followed to another show.

ANDREA

• Members

Alexa Havins as Babe Carey (05-07)

Jonathan Jackson as Lucky Spencer (10-11)

Billy Miller as Billy Abbott until he just got annoying (08-09)

James Scott as EJ DiMeria (07- Present)

Van Hansis as Luke Snyder (05-10)

Kelly Monaco as Livvie Locke/Tess (00-03)

Those are the only ones I could think of right now. But I think this overall trend is becoming more and more popular as soaps in general lack important characters.

• Members

Roger Howarth as Todd Manning is the first person that comes to mind. He is the reason why I have been invested in Todd Manning and why I am watching GH right now.

Jonathan Jackson as Lucky Spencer. Like Howarth, he is the only Lucky that exists to me and why I sat through the sh*t storylines that they served to him during his last tenure.

Shemar Moore as Malcolm Winters. His charisma is the reason why I embraced the character with arms wide open - charisma that was lacking from his replacement, Eddie Winslow.

Laura Wright as Cassie Layne WInslow. Not only did that role complement her talent to a tee, but the character's ability to be both bitchy, sympathetic, and fierce went out the window when they recast her.

Donn Swaby as Chad Harris. He was the reason why I believed in a Whitney/Chad pairing, as his talent rose above the hot mess material that he was given. Once they replaced him with a Chocolate Ken Doll, I no longer cared about them getting together or about him in general.

Sarah Michelle Gellar as Kendall Hart. She was the perfect version of Erica Kane's daughter - unapologetically bitchy and self-centered. Like Wright, I lost interest in her when they completely retooled the character into a groveler when they recast her.

Shame on me for forgetting Kelly Monaco's best role. I'll add her to my list.

• Members

Well, I can remember 3 times I specifically watched a show altogether simply to check out one actor. 1st time was in 1996, I checked out The Bold & the Beautiful after I saw in SOD that Lark Voorhies (of Saved by the Bell fame, haha) was on it. I ended up becoming a regular viewer. 2nd time was in 1998 when I watched One Life to Live for the first time ever to see Michael Zaslow (of GL's Roger fame) and the ALS storyline. 3rd time was to see Kim Zimmer (of GL's Reva fame) rejoin OLTL as Echo. I ended up watching til the show's ending.

• Members

Do u mean even when the actor is unknown or when a vet join a new soap in a new or recast role??

I followed The old Days gang to GH and stuck around til about 1998 ans rejoined when Linda Sami made her appearances.

I watched Billie on days because of Julie Pinson, loved her on PC and thought she would be great. same for Alex North....only because of Wayne Northrop. That's how I got hooked on some of the other soaps because former NBC soap vets take on roles on other soaps.

Archived