Unpopular Opinions: 2012 Edition

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OLTL:

I'm not always sure how fair it is to call Blair a slut. Remember, when Blair slept with Max for the first time in 1992 (when Mia Korf was still playing her), she said that was her first time with anyone, and she was 28/29 years old by then. Whether or not she was telling the truth, of course, is up for debate, but given the fact that she grew up being shuttled from foster home to foster home, without EVER being formerly being adopted (and who knows what kind of abuse she could have faced, physically or otherwise), it's entirely possible she was being honest there.

And really, if she was really was pushing 30 when she lost her virginity, give her a break--she was just making up for lost time after that with men! laugh.png

But compared to many other soap characters in their teens and 20s (COUGHCARLYONGHCOUGH), she waited longer than many and was probably in a better place emotionally (some of the time, anyway).

• Members

I actually liked John and Marty on OLTL, especially when CC was in the role. I thought those two had chemistry and liked their developing romance. Its too bad she was killed off. I thought the show was doing well with he and Marty when SH returned to the show but then dropped the ball once they finally got together. After all that build up, they failed to actually give them a story to follow up on

• Members

Now, I love my girl Blair to pieces (and see red whenever her greatness is compared to the Slagbeast in any way, shape, or form), but I have no problem with her being being referred to as a slut. The woman may have been a virgin when she and Max finally did the deed, but she was engaged to another man and was dead wrong for going back and forth between two men (even if she didn't love Asa). She was even wronger for trying to wreck his marriage to Luna (who, contrary to popular opinion, I liked very much).

• Members

I loved both versions of John & Marty! It was a straightforward romance, but it was all it needed to be for me. I'm a sucker for angst and buildup, lol. The Marty romance actually made me like John (seriously hated him until Dena H. put them together) and I can say that I really enjoyed him through most of '07-'09. I remember one of Susan Haskell's first days back as being one of the most charged non-sweeps episodes I've ever seen on a soap--from the interweaving of Tina screwing over Kevin Spirtas' character, Lee Ramsey's sudden murder, John coming thisclose to finding Marty, and Todd's thug carrying Marty down the alley . . . great soap!

I thought John & Marty were great when SH returned . . . I'm one of the few unashamed fans of that Todd/Marty story and I felt that there was SOOO much anticipation for John to save her. And it was a nice surprise when he finally did show up, Marty took the show into her own hands. Then there was SOOO much anticipation that they'd get back together, whether it be before or after she got her memory back. I know some folks preferred John/Blair (which was fun and the dynamics between all of them were even more fun than any individual J/M, J/B, T/B, T/M, or T/T pairing), but I was itching for John & Marty to stop longingly staring at each other and finally reunite! And then they did, and it was great. And then they were back-burned, which I understood, because that had been an excessively front-burner story, but it became clear RC had no idea where to go with them . . . I enjoyed their roles in the Kyle & Oliver story, especially John's . . . but then Jared died and the writing was on the wall that god-awful Jollie were coming back full force. I did think it was absolutely hilarious when Marty and Kim drove up the mountain together to find John and Stacy during Feb. sweeps '10, LOL. But I thought it was a shame they were dropped and Marty languished on the back-burner before becoming a psycho (WTF?!?).

• Members

Speaking of Luna, here's my potential UO: For everyone who says Luna was the love of Max's life, I will say that Gabrielle was the REAL love of his life over and over. I think it is noteworthy to point out that Gabrielle is the only woman Max ever married (okay, except Roxy, LOL) who he never cheated on. Granted, they weren't married for very long, but after everything that happened with Tina and Megan, I could totally believe that once he was with Gabrielle, he would be faithful to her forever. The only reason Gabrielle wasn't faithful to him was because she became greedy/slowly unraveled/lost much of her faith in God after Max was presumed dead, and slept with a priest in order to keep him quiet about her embezzling money (which was definitely wrong of her to do). If Max had tried to throw that in her face years later, after cheating on Luna AND Blair while married to them both, for the sole reason that he was horny, Gabrielle should have served him up with a cold glass of STFU. And I think he would have gotten the message from her, too.

And based on the fact that Gabrielle and Blair are my favorite OLTL characters, I guess I can offer up the possible UO that I often prefer anti-heroines to straight-up villainesses.

• Members

Here's a bit of a weird GH UO:

As hot as I find Richard Dean Anderson to be in MacGyver reruns and on Stargate (hot older men FTW!), I can't say I find him all that attractive based on pictures/clips of him during his GH years. I really don't know why, either.

• Members

Seeing photos and watching clips removes them from their original context. I know there's generally no other way to watch old episodes, but YT is a rather charmless way to catch up. I've read other posts where you talked about watching via YT and that is a thought I've had about having to do it that way. No judgment against you, but I think you're bound to miss so much.

RDA was a little too pretty when he was young, but his face developed character over time. He was one of the more attractive actors at the time, and I can't say I minded at all.

I always loved Kin Shriner and I hated what GH did with his character. I have fond memories of Scott and Dominique, and I believe GM dropped the ball when she handed Laura to Puke. I believe Scott and Laura would have outshone Laura and Luke.

• Members

I think Brody got a terribly raw deal his entire time on the show. He wasn't Shane's father, wasn't Ryder's father and wasn't Liam's father. Did Cartini just hate him or what? He was constantly losing to Rex, John and Ford his entire tenure there. He was like OLTL's own version of Lucky.

Archived