Unpopular Opinions: 2012 Edition

• Members

I can see where it may have been too much to do that to Stacey (and Jeremy's death was ultimately kind of pointless - I guess it was done mostly to show Gwen's destruction of everyone she loved), but it seemed like Clay and Curtis were already depleted as characters, and they'd reached the end for Cabot and Isabelle.

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

These writers only seem to be able to write one or two dimensional women.

I always thought KS' vain, narcissistic, mean, entitled Maxie had been dropped out of a spaceship or something. Her primary motivation for nearly everything she did was whether it would benefit Maxie while hopefully hurting someone else. She had sex whenever and with whomever she wanted with no regard for consequences and then she turned around and called other women sluts for doing far less than she did.

I could not see in her a child that Mac and Felicia would have raised, and it was totally impossible to believe she was related to Georgie.

She was way too much of a departure from Robyn Richards' Maxie. JL's Maxie works a lot better for me.

• Members

The Loving murders were great, but they should have just led to a rejuvenation/revamp of Loving, rather than "The City". While I liked the City, and was glad to see Jane Elliot again, I felt like it was unrealistic that so many people from Corrinth would just up and move, together, to a new city.

• Members

I didn't think it was that unrealistic, as most of the people who left had only been in Corinth a year or two anyway, and several were from New York - although I did think that Ally going was a little questionable.

• Members

I find the 'shipping of almost-couples to be absolutely pointless and a waste of time (see: Frankie/Madison, AMC; Frodd/Evangeline, OLTL; Jasus/Elizabeth and Ethan/Krustina, GH).

It's one thing to be a fan of one that actually gets together and breaks up every other week (as maddening as that can be - at least the viewers get to see them be exclusive for (a) moment(s) in time - but it's another to ascribe the title of (super)couple to a wannabe pairing that hasn't earned that title in any way, shape, or form. If fan fiction is the only tool that can be used to justify the existence/love of a "couple", chances are that they aren't much of one to warrant any kind of 'shipping in the first place.

• Members

well I wouldnt lump Jason/Liz in the same category as Frankie/Madison or Todd/Eva.The latter two were pretty much fan dreams which the show never attempted to actual go there. Jason/Liz at least had more merit behind them and they actually had sex and loved each other, even if they never got things quite together to move forward with a real relationship

Besides I dont see a problem with shipping almost couples. Fans notice chemistry and want writers to take advantage of that, especially if the actors work well together and/or theirs history there to take advantage of. Should we only like couples that the show puts together and tells us we should like? I see no problem with fans deciding what they like for themselves and wanting two characters to be a real couple even if the show doesnt actually go there

• Members

I'll agree that Madison/Frankie's stans weren't as bad as Ethan/Krustina's, but I just don't/didn't see why they wanted a pair of opposite-sex friends that were close to be 'shipped as a couple. Good friendship chemistry doesn't necessarily make for a good romance, IMO.

By no means am I saying that viewers should accept any couple that TPTB put before us (especially if they have zero chemistry). But I find the 'shipping of almost-couples to be, well, pointless because there isn't anything happening onscreen that suggests that they are an official couple or should be considered as such. All it is is fanfiction, which adds nothing to what is actually happening onscreen.

Mileage varies, of course, but I prefer to 'ship an official couple that are known as such (on canvas) over an almost-maybe-could've been fabrication.

• Members

I think part of the appeal of Frankie/Madison was the fact that Frankie/CSJ was being terribly wasted by being shackled to Randi/DV. He simply played better with Madison/SG on just about every level than he did with that pretty piece of cardboard.

• Members

I wanted Madison and Frankie and it wasnt bc I was looking at them for their potential romance. From a story standpoint, it would have been better had he been her baby's father. Frankie was doing nothing but being boring on the backburner with Randi. A ONS with Madison could have been the catalyst to actually give that pairing something to do. Feisty Randi was so bitch for no reason but that would have given her a bit more validity. Madison was treated like garbage by Ryan as he dumped her aside for Greenlee. Frankie had a few scenes defending Madison but they could have built it up more with him taking Scott's place as her rock, torn between the fact that she might be having his kid and his wife who may not be able to have one. Ryan would still be jealous like he was as Frankie started to fall for Madison and you have the makings for a decent quad (or is that pentagon?). Thats where my head was going with it when I wanted Madison and Frankie to have produced that child. There was just so much more that could have been done rather then what we actually got

• Members

Wikipedia's definition of shipping, which seems pertinent here:

"Shipping, derived from the word relationship, is the belief that two fictional characters, typically from the same series, are in an intimate relationship, or have romantic feelings that could potentially lead to a relationship. It is considered a general term for fans' emotional involvement with the ongoing development of romance in a work of fiction. Though technically applicable to any such involvement, it refers chiefly to various related social dynamics observable on the Internet, and is seldom used outside of that context.

Shipping can involve virtually any kind of relationship — from the well-known and established, to the ambiguous or those undergoing development, and even to the highly improbable and the blatantly impossible. People involved in shipping (called shippers) variously assert that the relationship does exist, will exist, or simply that they would like it to exist."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shipping_%28fandom%29

Archived