Unpopular Opinions: 2012 Edition

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Here's another unpopular opinion: to this day, I believe the Todd/Marty rapemance might have been more successful if Todd, or Victor, had told Marty the entire truth from the beginning. Granted, many never would have gone along for the ride, no matter what. I, on the other hand, believe viewers will follow wherever the writer wants them to go so long as that writer handles that story properly and takes the necessary steps to get them there.

• Members

I agree, I actually did like Rapemance 2.0 for what it was, I actually think the Todd that took care of Marty was the completely different Todd who raped her that night and that's why I believe I could stomach it. I think in some way or form he was trying to make up for his misdeeds and he ended up falling in love with her later after she started to heal and then Todd's Toddness got in the way. I was able to stomach Victor/Marty much more then Todd/Marty and that may be because the actors were completely different and it felt like two separate characters to me. I actually do think Victor paid for his crimes threw Magaret, Blair's cry of rape and the death penalty storylines.

• Members

The biggest failure of the rapemance story was that it was all about Todd. Todd was noble and sexy for falling in love with brain damaged Marty. Todd suffered nobly when Marty wanted payback and when he was on trial. Todd was a good dad fighting for his family, along with special angel Tea.

It was pitched as some type of dark, twisted tale, when it was nothing more than RC's version of bad rape fanfic.

If they'd just gone on with what they clearly wanted, and had Marty and "Todd" get back together after the rapemance, then the story would have at least gotten more notice and consequences, instead of being dropped so TSJ could yawn his way through a few years of whoring.

• Members

I hated the murders, too, if only b/c I felt it was unfair of the show to do such a thing to the viewers who had remained loyal in spite of all the BTS turmoil and on-screen upheaval. I don't care if it all was done to generate buzz for THE CITY. One, there are other, less unsettling ways of accomplishing the same goal. Two, no matter what LOVING had done to get viewers excited about the spin-off, it never was guaranteed that all, or even most, fans would come along. And three, especially for those who chose not to watch THE CITY, you don't send them off with the knowledge that characters they have invested years in are now dead-and-gone. Not even PASSIONS was that cruel.

Archived