Unpopular Opinions: 2012 Edition

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm trying to imagine how refusing to listen to viewers is a positive thing. Anyone who doesn't learn from history is doomed to repeat it.

Everyone said Guza lived on a lofty plane above the people who watched GH because he refused to listen to viewers; I think we've gone from the frying pan into the fire, or maybe we're still in the frying pan.

• Members

Getting away from Carlivati (who I simply don't think deserves all the bandwidth he takes up) I'm going to mention another UO.

I think that redeeming Todd Manning was a really bad idea. I say this as someone who is a veteran of the Todd wars on Mediadomain. I loved that character in that I found him utterly compelling. I loved him through Todd/Rebecca, TnB, TnT, etc... I came and went with RH.

But now, all these years later with the benefit of hindsight, I think that OLTL's decision to hold on to the character of Todd was a terrible idea. IMO, the gymnastics that the show went through to keep that character on the canvas ended up damaging the show, the actor and the genre as a whole. Todd should've gone to prison and left the show. Turning him into some misunderstood/Moses/dark prince spit on everything the Spring Fling story was meant to convey, Don't even get me started on the TSJ/RH/Real Todd/Fake Todd bullshit. That's just fruit of the poison tree.

• Members

I think redeeming Todd and doing the Victor molestation story were the beginning of the end for OLTL.

I also can't think of any good story which came out of redeeming Todd. Most of what he had afterwards was garbage.

• Members

If he didn't care he wouldn't block people on twitter. I can understand blocking the crazies but he even blocks fans of his who dare question anything. I know several who loved his work at OLTL and are actually shocked he's just repeating a lot of the stories he did there.

What folks don't seem to get is if you put yourself out on the Internet and start attempting to engage with with viewers be prepared for the criticism as well. And if you can't handle it stay off. Same for the actors. I truly agree with the fact he was reading his own press and he believes the nonsense spewed by "reputable" cough cough sources like DC and Branco. The same folks who also praised Bob Guza and JFP by the way.

• Members

I think the idea of these shows hanging onto characters like Todd Manning and Sonny Corinthos on GH were both terrible ideas. Both characters have had hugely negative effects on their respective shows. These characters served their original purposes and both should have been killed off. And as much as I love James Scott, Days has tied itself in knots for 4 to 5 years now trying to redeem him yet still trying to teeter between him being a good or bad guy. Add to the fact that in the years all have spent on their respective shows they have NEVER gotten a rest.

• Members

I go back and forth on the molestation story. I don't have a problem with the idea that Victor Lord molested Viki. That made sense given Viki's split personalities since DID is usually caused by trauma and abuse. But the rest was such a bad idea.

• Members

I don't think you can really compare EJ to Todd and Sonny and the destruction of their shows quite yet. I actually think Sonny was in a good place storyline wise until somewhere around 2004/2005 when they had the mob completely take over the show. Characters like Faith, the Alcazars and then the Zacchara's just added too much mob to the show and it destroyed everything about GH because there was no balance. The redemption of rapist Todd is something that still gives me nightmares after watching Susan H. amazing work as a rape victim. That rape was just brutal in all ways and they needed to let him go after that.

I think the great thing they have done with EJ's case is that he has lost and he has won almost in equal order/measure. He is constantly switching back from winning and losing almost like a manic-depressive is writing his storyline. You never get the impression that he is as untouchable as someone like say Stefano or that he is irredeemable. That being said he does work a lot better as a villain. I would say EJ is the only truly great character to come out of Days since 06/07' which is a tall order on a show rooted in nostalgia, past characters and super couples.

• Members

EJs characterization is a mess and I agree he's popular but so is Sonny who outlived his usefulness long before 2005. I'm not sure all that EJ has lost as so many of his misdeeds were rewritten to make someone else responsible. I guess he lost his kids for a time but on the show I watched he didn't seem to care.

I liked what Tomlin did with Days wheen he fired the vets in general what I didn't like was that 4 characters became the airhogs and that the show lacked balance. And James Scott while I adore him is not an actor I can watch on screen 5 days a week. His acting a good part of the time is too over the top and he tends to chew a lot of scenery.

• Members

Bradley Cole (ex-Richard/Jeffrey, GUIDING LIGHT). The show had killed off Richard already when incoming EP John Conboy, who was replacing Paul Rauch, received flowers from some of Cole's fans. Next thing you know, Cole was back (in a new role).

Allegedly. ;)

Archived