2012: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

SOD Reports that Lorraine Broderick is joining Gary Tomlin & Chris Whitesell at Days. She HW OLTL with Whitesell from 2001-03 when Tomlin was EP and as Assoc HW's from 2003-04 under Michael Malone turn as HW

LB was also HW at Days From Oct-Nov 1999 but her Character Driven story ideas didnt mesh with then EP, Tom Lagan who wanted Plot and took over the HW duties

http://www.soapopera...ew-writing-team

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorraine_Broderick

• Members

I loved Lorraine at AMC, I am excited to see what she can infuse into DAYS this go around. Like you all said, Lorraine is more of a traditionalist in terms of writing style, but she has effectively written for "quirky" characters too like Janet Green, Cecily Brent, and Opal Cortlandt. I think her ability to balance these "big personalities" with the more grounded citizens is a strong suit.

I also believe she is a character driven writer. In her short second to last run as AMC's interim HW, it was evident that she had that perspective. Though so much happened, we had touching scenes of just one or two players building their relationships were once inferred, we did not get to see under the old regime (e.g., Colby/Scott, Adam/Tad, Frankie/Angie, Angie/Jake).

• Members

Daytime Confdential reports that Lorraine will be a breakdown writer. That means LB's Job will be deciding what happens in every episode and scene , so basically the pacing of Gary & Chris' long -term stories. Then the scriptwriters write the dialogue

• Members

I think this is a big issue for the networks. I finished Harding Lemay's book, and he goes into detail about the grind and toll it took on his writing a 1/2 hour soap. It must be an even more drawn out process now with an hour show, and even more network/executive intervention. "Just getting the work done" seems to be the mantra of the day.

Archived