2012: The Directors and Writers Thread

• Members

At this point it doesnt matter with JP back in action...I am just waiting for all the soaps to be cancelled so all the hack writers can be unemployed. At this point I just watch Days and dont even have time for B&B. Once GL and ATWT left....I pretty much didnt care about the soaps surviving.......cruel but true.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You know, for all the hate she gets around here, Jean Passanante wrote a solid ATWT from 2005-late 2006 and mid 2009- the end. Frankly, ATWT was the best soap on the air the year it was yanked, bar none. Not that it's saying much, but I honestly couldn't wait to tune in every day.

There are hacks (like the current and previous Y&R regimes, McTavish, Pratt, Guza, and Dena Higley) that are FAR worse than Passanante IMO

• Members

That may be your opinion, however... having witnessed Jean Passanante's HORRIFIC writing as sole-head writer at All My Children (where there was no story, episode pacing was botched and no pay offs to cliff hangers), I can say that, as much as I detest the STORIES McTavish tells, she's at least levels above Passanante in storytelling. McTavish may ignore-slash-rewrite history, however, she pays attention to detail when it comes to writing her stories. Passanante wrote things on AMC that made absolutely no sense. Still, to this day, I don't get how Mateo was able to leave Pine Valley, fly to the Caribbean, find Arlene and bring her back just in time to prove Hayley didn't kill her... all in one episode. What should've taken a week in story took a mere six acts.

Archived