Jill Farren Phelps OUT, Frank Valentini IN, Ron Carlivati IN

• Members

I think The Chew's ratings started out strong (ABC bragging about them beating AMC), then crashed, then went back up.

I still wonder just how cheap this show is, between the endless ads and the big money likely paid to those involved like Batali or Deen. I'm sure it's not on an AMC level but if it's about saving money it's not as cheap as it could be.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Killing Robin is the type of thing that got them praise and sometimes a ratings boost over the years. It's a shame no one cared (aside from vocal fans, and they're always ignored) - if anyone at ABC had cared, GH would be in much less danger of going.

I kind of feel sorry for Wolf, mostly because I don't really believe these are his stories (what he tried to do early in his run doesn't match what's happened since) but I guess he's probably just happy to have a job to the end.

• Members

No, The Chew's ratings were crap out of the gate (aside from the premiere episode)...I hate to say anything that boosts Brian Frons, but he clearly did his research because *someone* is watching it. Even if each host is paid $1,000,000 a year, it's pennies on the dollar compared to what it cost to run AMC.

• Members

LA Times article, sorry if this was already posted(haven't read the whole thread)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2011/12/the-morning-fix-shakeup-at-general-hospital-kid-manager-arrested.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+newsandbuzz+%28News+%26+Buzz%29

Bad medicine. ABC is forcing out Jill Farren Phelps, the longtime Emmy Award-winning "General Hospital" executive producer in favor of Frank Valentini, who ran the canceled "One Life to Live." "General Hospital" is not expected to be around much longer either. ABC has made it clear that it is getting out of the soap business. Still, the abrupt departure of the well-regarded Phelps, who most recently lured movie star James Franco to the soap as a recurring character, caught many in the industry off guard. However, insiders note Phelps had been clashing with ABC brass lately over both the extreme budget cuts forced on the already strapped show and its creative direction. Details on the latest daytime drama from Vulture.

• Members

I don't watch GH, never have so Phelps has been an after thought for years. In fact until recently I thought she had been gone from daytime altogether as I hadn't heard any thing about her well since at least 2004 although I still remember her acceptance speech at the Emmys being cut off with closing credits. I still do remember her tenures from GL and AW, one good to mixed the other was well bad. After having Rauch at Y&R, the last thing the show needs is another ancient hack running amok especially with the likes of MAB/Sheffer/Hamner. It would be her AW 2.0 I can imagine.

Archived