Jill Farren Phelps OUT, Frank Valentini IN, Ron Carlivati IN

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am looking forward to seeing the show under him mainly because a change is really needed, even if GH won't be on for much longer. I think it will go out with more class & some dignity under him. I wonder if RC really will be brought in and replace Garin & Shelly (dang, we haven't even seen what their material is like together yet). I was defending GH not to long ago under Garin but lately its been pretty bad.

Summer GH will be interesting ;-)

• Members

They were? There was Jimmy Lee Holt, the hunkiest hunk who ever hunked, I guess Noah Drake although he wasn't hunky. Then you have to go all the way to 1990 and Jagger and younger non-fat Jason. And then it was a hunk free-zone. Greg Vaughan, Jacob Young if you want to push it..we are talking about a handful of names over 25 years. OLTL beats that every year.

• Members

They weren't traditional leading men, but at GH's peak of popularity, Luke, Scotty, Robert Scorpio had a lot of female admirers. So did Alan Quartermaine, Noah, Joe Kelly, continuing on with Blackie, Frisco, etc.

I guess they didn't have the more typical flesh parade until the early 90's, but they weren't so ashamed of male sexuality the way Guza/JFP/Frons seemed to be.

• Members

The idea of "Hunk" has changed over the years too. Today it means beefcake, but in the 80's it was something different. I remember long discussions about GH's sexy men back then, men whom I wouldn't consider terribly "sexy" today if they stood still, but who had a charm and humour about them that could make your heart melt.

• Members

Speaking along the lines of theory - conspiracy or other - we also have to hold up the fact that OLTL is a very family centred/female centred show and those influences are greatly needed at GH. Perhaps that message has finally gotten through. Guza/Philps loved their violent men and excluded any woman from story who was over the age of 45. It's not totally out of the realm of possibility that GW wanting to do something different makes it almost imperative that the EP have a different attitude too, and they were just waiting until OLTL wrapped to make the move.

• Members

IMO, GH and JFP was a pairing made in hell as this is a show (or "nest of vipers" as Sean Kanen once called it) which fed on JFP's worst qualities as an EP. Is she technically proficient? Yes. Can she nurture certain actors? Yes, absolutely.

Does she push shows to explore a darker side to their story-telleing (SB, AW and GH being cases in point)? Yes. Does she rely on "shocking" deaths in order to clear out a few vets and get a few headlines? Yes. Does she sideline female characters, especially of a certain age? Yes. Does she wish she was EP-ing a show in Primetime rather than being stuck in Daytime? YES. All mega flaws.

I think JFP would want to make her mark on Y&R, if she went there, by turning it into some weird SB/GH/last days of AW hybrid. That is not Y&R.

The rumor I heard was that

• Members

I'm surprised, must be a cost-cutting move. If nothing else, GH's music will improve. Valentini has excellent musical taste.

The rumors about either

are fascinating because things at GH must be bad for those kinds of rumors to even exist. The rumor I read was that

Archived