Y&R: June Discussion Thread

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think the only reason they hired Maura was to try and get some ATWT viewers. I'm sure they did research and conducted focus groups to determine which ATWT refugee could best be counted on to deliver some new viewers, just as they're probably doing now with AMC and OLTL actors. I think the whole procees was all very calcutated. That's the cynic in me talking, I guess. And for whatever reason, the writing, her performance...none of it ever gelled.

• Members

I think that is probably a big reason for her hiring. It's a vulture mentality, and it's always the same sad story because people who don't watch Y&R that much talk up about how fantastic is and _____'s loss is Y&R's gain, and then the stunts wear off and the daily grind of ugliness that is today's Y&R take their toll, and it's time for a new stunt casting.

• Members

I don't think she did- I believe it was included in this part of the quote:

Uh, I don't consider any of her performances to be comatose and that crack about the only layers she had were in her hair is all kinds of wrong. The recast may have not been perfect, mainly like you and others have said because of the writing- but Maura wasn't, hasn't been, and never will be a lazy actress. She doesn't tank storylines either, unlike co-stars Braeden, Stafford, and Muhney. But then again, you had THIS to say about Genie's performance as Shriekavieve:

So your opinons about the acting on Y&R aren't really all that credible IMO.

Brava! But I do think she has some fire chemistry with Morrow.

Exactly. This show is pure crap and you're right that it makes it all the more depressing that the show used to be the creme de la creme.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

And your credibility falls further down the gutter. Maura may have lacked a lot of things on Y&R but FIRE ain't one of em. Girl is a ball of freaking fire, no matter how much and how often the writing failed her.

+1

But I do see a difference: Diane was NEVER a slut nor did she use sex to gain money like a common hooker. She always had a sexuality that she used to her advantage with men, but not like this. The Diane of old NEVER would have shown up to Grambo's in a trench coat and removed it to reveal her bright red and black lace bra and panties like this version did. It just wasn't and isn't her style.

No doubt, ESPECIALLY when all it does is prove how atrocious the writing actually is, considering these talented, A-list actors can't even bring it to life and make it work.

• Members

Are we talking about the same Diane who screwed Jack the night before his wedding? And I hate to tell you, but she DID use sex to gain career placement/money. By sleeping with Jack, she persuaded him to build an entire Jabot advertizing campaign around her, and not Chris Brooks who his father wanted to head up the campaign.

• Members

that's exactly why they did it, and the problem keeps being that they are STUPID and don't realize that it NEVER works. If they wanted to snag some ATWT veiwers, they needed to sit down with Proctor and Gamble and hammer out a deal and get one or two of ATWT's CHARACTERS and bring them over to Y&R (along with the actors who play them, of course) P&G would do it, they would get some money for doing virtually nothing, and milk a bit more revenue out of a completely dead property.

• Members

I admit I wasn't watching then, but from what I've read of the character at the time, that was one isolated incident. When Alex Donnelly returned in the 90s, there was none of that. Diane was a smart, calculated businesswoman. Yes, she had some tricks up her sleeves and did sleep with Jack and Victor, but she didn't go whoring around town. She did NOT overtly use sex to get what she wanted- she relied moreso on her brains and savvy. The story you're talking about took place nearly 30 years ago and I don't find it relevant. Had she seduced and banged the hell out of John Abbott back then, maybe you'd have something there.

• Members

It was hardly one incident---she had an extended affair with Jack while he was married to Patty. She then married Andy and cheated on him with Jack.

I understand that she returned to town with a career under her belt. But it's not fair either to simply throw out segments of her history because it was so long ago. She used whatever she had to her advantage. In that respect, I don't see a difference in Diane's actions from then to now.

• Members

It was totally one incident.

The initial sex with Jack was to get Diane in the door at Jabot.

The rest of their affair she had genuine feelings for him & she cheated on Andy BECAUSE she still had feelings for Jack (despite loving Andy too) so nobody is "throwing out segments of her history because it was long ago".

Also the difference between Diane then & Maura's Diane is that Diane (outside of that one initial instance) only used sex as a last resort. Not so much with Maura's Diane.

• Members

Did Maura and Scott relocate to LA when she got Y&R? If so, it's a shame they gave up their lives in NYC, though I guess her best chance, probably her only chance, for work, is in LA, whether it be soaps or prime time. Wonder if Frons is considering her for the rumored Kate recast on GH. That might be a role better suited for her, and I could see her having chem with Maurice. Of course, GH will probably be off the air by Sept 2012, so not sure if that would be a good move for her.

Archived