Y&R: June Discussion Thread

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm not arguing that the writing is bad. It's horrendous. I don't know what character they're writing for, but it sure as hell ain't Diane Jenkins. But something, to me, seems off about Maura's portrayal. Is she bad? Not really. She's not great, but she's not bad. She's just not Diane. And as much as I love her, I think it really is time for her to go.

I think Maura could have worked fabulously well on Y&R as a new character. But she was miscast as Diane from day one. She just doesn't have the fire Diane needs.

• Members

Genie Francis plays such a awful/bland basic bitch (thanks for coining that JackPeyton!) from the stuff I've seen. This woman should not be playing the kind of role they have her in. The writing is bad, and Genie hams it up in an attempt to want to show people she's more than Laura Spencer, and it falls flat as hell.

• Members

I never understand the "this isn't Diane" train of thought. She was a desperate "over the hill" model who tried blackmailing and sleeping her way into the lead Jabot model job. Her idea of revenge was stealing sperm to have a child she felt "promised" to her by Victor. She tried to break up Jack and Phyllis by framing Phyl for arson...going so far as to endure a broken leg.

Other than the fact she managed to win once against Victor...I'm not seeing the difference. The fact she's no longer smart enough to hire a lawyer or lets every man she sleeps with call her a useless bitch to her face (which again, is the product of the misogynistic writing) isn't in Maura's control.

I guess it's the idea Maura's not bringing "layers" to the role is what I'm bristling at. The ONLY reason I've endured watching this crap IS seeing what Maura brings to this thankless character and craptastic heap of strung together words. There's a plethora of lazy actors beating the crap out of the ONE note they've found in their characters. Maura ain't one of them.

• Members

She wasn't over the hill. Desperate yes but not greedy.

The sperm & arson stuff was way out of character for Diane & done solely to prop other characters (Nikki & Giggly).

The broken leg wasn't intentional

The difference is that Diane was ALWAYS a self sufficient character. She was desperate & occasionally needy but very self assured, intelligent & fairly sophisticated. She was much like ATWT's Barbara (but without the crazy).

She wasn't some cheap whore that screwed her way into money & was scared of everything like she is under Maura.

Nobody said it was. But it adds to the problems longtime viewers had (in addition to the horrible writing) with the recast in the first place.

Plus Maura making statements like Diane hadn't ever had a "human story" made it clear she didn't understand the character. She's grown into an ok character since she's been paired with Adam but she's never really worked as Diane (most of that blame again is due to the writing).

Maura on Y&R is to Y&R fans kind of the same way a lot of ATWT fans felt about AW characters joining their show. Were they good characters? Sure. Were they played by good actors? Sure. But it's not the same & the more the the show and/o fans push stuff that isn't gonna work the more problems longtime fans of the aforementioned show are going to have.

Again though most of it isn't Maura's fault.

At the same time it's irritating for fans of an actor/actress from another soap to diminish and/or disparage a popular character (who has significant history & connections to the canvas on their soap) in order to allay justified issues longtime viewers of that soap have with said recast.

Again though you're conflating problems with the recast in general & the writing with how people feel about Maura.

Most Y&R fans (longtime viewers included) have no problem with Maura the actress.

• Members

When she was introduced back in the day, Diane certainly was considered "over the hill". Models weren't having careers into their 40's as they are nowadays.

I believe Maura simply meant what drives Diane has never been explored or explained. I couldn't tell you a thing about Diane's background or family. She became an archetect off-screen. Other than her connection with Kyle, I'm not sure she's truly loved anyone.

As for the rest of it (for brevity's sake, since we've been through this before...) yes, I'm overly sensitive to the situation. But the poster specifically said Maura wasn't layered or "had the fire Diane needs". I don't see that. And I certainly don't see Maura's bringing Diane some emotional vulnerabilty as a sign she's a one-note actress.

I

• Members

Maria Arena Bell basically is counting on the fans to be blinded by all this "talent" so she and her minions can get away with the [!@#$%^&*] they pass off as writing. Y&R has officially taken ABC's crown in the realm of stunt casting. This show has taken it to a whole new other level.

• Members

Funny you mention talent in quotes bc these stars, which were hihgly regarded as being great actors on other soaps, flat out stink on this soap. Ex. Eden Riegel, Genie Francis. They're awful and Y&R is like a stain on their career.

• Members

No she wasn't.

Diane wasn't a model in her 40's.

She was a model in her 20's.

But that's simply untrue.

Plenty of what drives Diane has been explored & explained.

While it's true Diane hasn't had onscreen family beyond Kyle & her husbands just cause you & Maura aren't familiar with the character doesn't mean she was irrelevant.

Isn't that why you were so against Maura as Grace?

So?

She definitely loved her husbands/fiancees & her friends. Unfortunately the character has constantly been used as a prop for other characters (Nikki, Giggly) so she regularly gets thrown under the bus to push agendas.

Again though everyone sympathizes with you.

They've also made it clear that despite their issues that Maura the actress is much less the issue than Y&R's writing & casting.

It probably would've helped Maura to have watched Donnelly & Walters.

She's the one who chose to interpret the character solely via what the current writers told her when it's clear they cared little beyond pushing their agendas.

There's a huge difference between emotional vulnerability & sniveling coward though.

There's also a huge difference between Maura being a one note actress in general & a one note actress in this particular role.

The second which should come as no surprise since she was preceded by Stephen Nichols, Jeff Branson & Eden Riegel.

Archived