Y&R: June Discussion Thread

• Members

I get that -- normally. But ever since Phyllis found out Lucy was Daniel's, the writing has portrayed her as totally unhinged. Either that, or the director is telling her to play it that way. I mean, the way she screamed in Daniel's face the other day. The crazy eyes at the trial. The fact that she's so deranged, she thinks Billy, Michael and Lauren will still treat her like their BFF even though she brought Daisy back to town. Phyllis looks terrible in all this. She looks spiteful because she wants what Billy & Victoria have, which is Baby Lucy. And she looks cruel when telling Lauren to "get over it" when Lauren calls her out on Daisy. Let's not forget, Daisy tortured Lauren and Jana while they were locked up.

So why not just have Rafe bring up some of the past with Danny? And Christine?

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I agree. There is no one for me to root for here. Phyllis is behaving deplorably, I'm disgusted with her. Still, I can't really root for Billy to raise Lucy either. He BOUGHT her. I can't get behind that, even if Daniel wants Villy to raise her now. I hate that Y&R is now the sort of soap that makes light of rape and baby buying. I just don't get it.

• Members

Giggly has ALWAYS been that way.

This is the same woman who destroyed Lily's ENTIRE family TWICE for no reason. The same woman who cheated on Aunt Jack THREE separate times & regularly betrays him. The same woman who cheated with a married man while acting like the world's biggest victim to the man's wife who was busy grieving HER DEAD CHILD. The same woman who didn't hesitate to blame another woman's CHILD for her psychotic behavior. The same woman that repeatedly stalked, harassed & tried to murder ANOTHER woman after sexually assaulting said woman's husband.

The writing hasn't changed. If anything it's pretty much the same. The only difference is Saint Giggly always wins.

• Members

Oh! No no no. It wasn't moving. Grambo twigged that Diane might not be preggers after all (well, duh, Methuselah. Your sperm is, like, 1000 years old). He grunts "SHTOP duh ambulance PLEASE." The ambulance people stop because TGVN told them to. Diane tells Grambo she is kicking him where it hurts -- right in the "company jewels." Grambo throws the doors of the ambulance open and throws Maura's body-double head first (!). If it had been a speeding ambulance, I don't know how Diane would have survived, but even a stationary vehicle... head-first is dangerous!

• Members

^^ Yeah, that's it!

Because Phyllis is a jealous, nasty little psycho who wants what OTHER people have... Danny, Nick, now this baby that Villy, for all their faults, truly dote upon.

She says she is doing this for Daniel, even though he doesn't want the baby or to ever be a father. She claims it is because he might change his mind later and want to be a father to his baby. She also claims that it's because she couldn't deal with Daniel being "taken away from her" when he was a baby blah blah, and therefore cannot bear to see the same thing happening to her grandchild.

You know, it actually took me 5 minutes to sit down and think about all the reasons Phyllis cited about pursuing this ridiculous case. It honestly did not make sense to me, even when she screamed it in Daniel's face.

• Members

If by subtle you mean comatose, and when you say "muli-layered", you're referring to her hair, then yes. Otherwise, no. Don't get me wrong, I love Maura West. She was fabulous on ATWT. But she's never worked as Diane. She's all kinds of miscast. And I don't think she ever truly seems like she wants to be there. Granted, if I was given the material they've given her, I would be bored too. But she's underwhelming, nonetheless.

All of this just goes to show that they never had much to do with Diane. They brought back the character so they could snag a name actress. And it failed. Miserably. I find her firing far less jarring than that of Emily O'Brien, an actress who truly rocked all the material given to her, now matter how outlandish.

• Members

Only a multi-layered actress could sell Diane's "falling in love" with the brain-dead beefcake Nick to the point she actually feels bad every time he rails at and belittles her for living her life after he dumped her.

Maura's the only reason Diane has any semblance of a conscience. It sure hasn't been written that way for her. Setting aside the age-appropriateness issue...it's certainly not Maura's fault she has more chemistry with Diane's female rivals than the males on this show. It's the fact there's too many women on this show that makes her expendable, not any acting issue. (Even if she's not happy with her story, at least she's professional enough to bring it...unlike some of the coddled Divos on this show.)

Archived