• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Youtube's algorithm served this video up to me and it just feels like I'm being taunted.

I miss this show so much. I miss these characters and actors so much. 

Taylor Miller's Nina is deep in my heart. Cliff and Nina were my first supercouple.

Edited by marceline

• Members

Actress Ann Flood (Bitsy Davidson #2 on All My Children) has passed away.    Her character was on the show for more than a year.   It was a recurring role at first (and created by Laurinda Barrett), but Ms. Flood was later under contract.    The character was the mother of Cecily Davidson and was a major flirt of Dr. Cliff Warner.

• Members

May 1999

Can the once highly popular `All My Children' rebound from its sagging ratings? ABC TV thinks so. But to make sure, it's brought back Agnes Nixon as the show's head writer; Nixon had been a consultant. Considered by many to be the first lady of serial dramas, ABC is hoping she'll help revive the show, which has been a network staple for 29 years.

"We brought Agnes back to deliver the escape, the fantasy, romance and mystery," that soap opera fans want, says Angela Shapiro, president of ABC Daytime Television. `Agnes makes the characters come alive in a way that no one else can. It's remarkable what she brings; we're really lucky."

'All My Children' was a leading soap throughout the 1980s and during the earlier part of this decade. She created All My Children as well as ABC's `One Life to Live' and `Loving' (which later became 'The City') and 'Search for Tomorrow' She was co- creator of 'As the World Turns,' which airs on CBS, was the head writer for `Guiding Light' also on CBS, and for NBC's `Another World.' Here, Nixon talks about soap operas, where the audience has gone, what viewers want from daytime dramas and how to fix 'All My Children.

What's happened to the daytime drama audience?

There has been some attrition with all the cable channels. I think that's the way of the world. But I think good stories, well told and acted by very good actors, will always be popular. I just think we have to get back to some of the basics of storytelling...the things that have always influenced and interested people.

Why are soap operas appealing?

Basically it's because it's the form of entertainment nearest to real life. Every day is a new episode, there's that appeal, as well as the fact that it's never repeated. I think there's something about a continued story. Charles Dickens was a serial writer; people use to wait in Boston for the boat to come from England with the next installment to see what was going to happen to Little Nell. Also, you have to have believable characters. Sometimes, soaps have gotten into characters that were not believable. The characters have to be three dimensional, someone with whom the audience can identify. Stories have to be believable, suspenseful, interesting and involving.

What do you think about proposals for 24-hour soap channels on cable?

I am very excited by it. I also think we'll get a truer measurement of viewership. The Nielsen ratings don't list VCRs and we know there's a vast audience that tapes and watches soaps later. I frankly think we don't have a true picture now of measurement of audience viewership. Plus there's something nice about the fact that what I do will be seen again. I am thinking particularly about the actors now. I think it brings us a little more satisfaction.

Do you think daytime serials will always have a home on broadcast television?

Yes, I do, I truly do. I am not saying they all will. Again, because it is a story. A good story well presented is just as movies are, it's entertainment. It's human stories and people are interested in people.

What do you like most about writing daytime dramas? I am a storyteller and I like the dramatic form. To me it's just the thing I love to do. You take something in life that generates an idea and then it grows and one embellishes it. Seeing it come to life on the air by actors is just a great thrill for me.

What is the hardest part of writing serials?

The discipline you have to have because of the time pressure. It takes five days a week, 52 weeks a year, and that's pretty grueling. One can do a movie of the week or even a nighttime episode. A writer might stay up two nights getting it finished and then go collapse on the beach at Malibu. But a writer of daytime serials doesn't have that luxury. It's like getting in shape. You have to learn to pace yourself and to get refreshed and renewed in a much shorter time -like a weekend or a Saturday.

Without giving away anything, what are you planning to do with All My Children? We're going back to what used to be one of the hallmarks of All My Children, which was young romance. I think that young romance is particularly good because we all identify with being young. We remember it so well. Through young romance we are able to see the world with what the true meaning of naïve is, which is 'fresh wonder.' I do feel that is what's needed on the show and we're getting to it very quickly.

This video contains bits and pieces of AMC and Ryan's Hope. Along with vintage commercials from 1979. Eddie, Kelly and Myrtle are featured.@DRW50@vetsoapfan @Paul Raven@slick jones@Tonksadora@SFK@gimmetoo@Faulkner@Missy Palmer@janea4old@dc11786@AMCOLTLLover@danfling@daysgoby@marceline@Franko@DemetriKane@Joseph This other channel also has a part of the first scene in the first video. 

Edited by victoria foxton