AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I am missing my show like crazy. I have tried recently to focus my attention on Streaming other Soaps i haven't gotten into before. But It's just something about Pine Valley, that has a hold on my mind like a drug. I so hate it that their off the air and i wasn't able to get a turn to write for those amazing characters. 

• Members

This seems the Right place to leave it, I had a hard time not crying and that's because my love for soaps isn't even a decade old, you grow to love these people like family

Susan broke my heart here, But btw i never knew Arlene Dahl (Lorenzo Lamas' Mom) was on AMC, But she lived well over 90 right? I also want to take the opportunity to ask about Patricia Barry she played "Peg English" who was she? A relative of Phoebe's apparently

• Members

Arlene Dahl played Lucinda on One Life to Live.Frustrating that they would make such a mistake.

I'm certain other daytime performers were missed. And why use that ancient picture of Donald May when there are plenty of photos from when he played Adam.

Peg English was Pheobe's sister-in-law, Brooke's mother. although it was revealed later that Peg was not Brooke's birth mother.

• Members

Now she can Compete with the WRONG PHOTO for Margerite RAY last year they put the wrong Mamie

Thanks for the info, I wish I could watch her with Warrick and Barr but I think it's difficult thanks anyway now I have one doubt less

• Members

Humm I didn't get much into the later years of AMC which means The character of Krystal Carey to me was nothing but Babe's Mom Erica Slapped (yeah that's really all I've seem of her) BUT today is Actress Bobbie Eakes's Birthday (I never knew before she shared her birthday with KKL, and they called Joanna Johnson the twin lol) and I know She was nominated for The Emmy for this Role at least twice, so is there any scene of hers someone would recommend? And I'm always open for Info on Emmy Reels that's why I Started that thread

• Members

Actress Mary Alice has passed away.    She played Mrs. Hubbard (I am not sure of her first name.) on All My Children.   She was the sister of Dr. Frank Grant, the mother of Jesse and Eugene, and the grandmother of Frankie.

She was a native of Indianola, Mississippi.

Writer Jean Passante posted this on Facebook:

I just heard that Mary Alice died. The depth and intelligence and ferocity of her acting was wondrous. I was privileged to cast her as Rose in the very first reading of August Wilson’s FENCES at the O’Neill. I was even more privileged to see her astonishing performance. I will never, ever forget the moment Troy brings home his dead lover’s newborn baby to his wife, Rose.
ROSE: Okay, Troy . . . you’re right. I’ll take care of your baby for you . . . cause . . . like you say . . . she’s innocent . . . and you can’t visit the sins of the father upon the child. A motherless child has got a hard time. . . . From right now . . . this child got a mother. But you a womanless man.
Mary Alice’s performance was devastating. Full of fire and ice. Forever seared on my heart and in my mind. One of the profound, treasured moments in the theater when I’m reminded why it matters. RIP, Mary Alice.

May be an image of 1 person and standing

I have since learned that her character was Ellie Grant Hubbard.

• Members

TikTok continues to be my go-to source for soap memories. 

For example, today I recalled that blue version of the Chandler Mansion, with those odd stairs that had such a low slope they were almost like a ramp

Also, imagine the disappointment of tuning in to see a replacement Nina, Liza, and Jenny (yes, I know she wasn't really playing Jenny), all in one day.  I find it amusing that they keep shooting Nina from behind, perhaps hoping that viewers won't notice the difference. 

Finally, gotta love the classics in the scene at Courtland Manor.  A villain admitting to their plan out loud with someone obviously eavesdropping in the background.  If you couldn't catch the foreshadowing of Zach's murder, then you've never watched a soap before

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Yes, Ellie came onto the show as a patient in the hospital asking for Dr. Grant.    He saw her and tried to ease her.   Her request was that, if she passed away, he would care for her son Jesse.    (No mention of Eugene was given.)

Ellie and Frank had been estranged for many years, and I don't think that Frank knew that Ellie had a son (or two sons).

She passed away, and Frank and Nancy resolved to take care of Jesse (who was initially resentful).   After that, Frank, whose high blood pressure had been mentioned for several years, passed away.    So, Nancy's home then consisted of Nancy, Aunt Bess, little Carl (named Carl Blair, Jr. although he was in fact the son of Frank) and Jesse Hubbard.

Eventually Nancy met and married Mr. Fisher (whose first name I cannot recall).    I am thinking that he was a meterologist at WMON, and they moved to Chicago.    I am certain about the Chicago part, but am I correct that he was a television meterologist?  This departure left Jesse in Pine Valley alone.   (Of course, he had his friends Angie, Greg, Jenny and Alfred.)

Weren't Frank and Nancy next-door neighbors of Ruth, Joe, and Kate?    I know that Ellen and Mark lived in the same house, but I cannot remember who lived there first.   It was a house that was powered by solar energy.

Or, maybe Jesse and Angie bought the house from Mark and Ellen.

Could Eugene and Jesse be half-brothers sharing the same father, and perhaps that was why Ellie did not mention him?

• Members

amcfantok has been posting 1984 on tiktok, and it's very bad.

The clear exception is Jane Elliot as Cynthia.  I am particularly taken with Ellen and Daisy's frustration that every time they think that they have enough evidence to call Cynthia out, she plays on Palmer's heartstrings until he relents.  In one memorable episode Cynthia goes to The Chateau for lunch without any money and she tries to use Palmer's line of credit.  Ellen humiliates her by offering to either call Palmer or allow Cynthia to wash dishes to pay for her lunch (with wine the total was a whopping $22).  Cynthia's companion pays, and then she goes home and gets Palmer to call The Chateau to add the Prestons to his charge account.  Then, Andrew comes in and humiliates Ellen by treating her like an underling and charging his meal to Palmer.  Palmer never seems dumb for believing Cynthia, she just knows how to manipulate his desire to establish a relationship with his newfound son Ross.  Jane Elliot is also mature enough that you never think twice about how she's trying to sleep with her ex-husband's father.

On the other hand, the recast Nina is far too green to be thrust into this story with Zach.  Recast Liza is missing all of her legendary bite.  Fake Jenny is so transparent in her scheming that she make Myrtle seem like a fool for not seeing right through her.  Greg and Cliff are indistinguishable as good guys who are so easily mislead that one wonders why they aren't giving half of their salary to invest in a three card monty scheme.  Donna lacks the charisma to understand why Ross and Tom are constantly trying to appease her.

Phoebe, Tad, and Erica are in their prime as comedic characters, although it gets a little too silly.  Hugo Napier's Mike Roy and his inexplicable insistence on wearing sunglasses indoors makes him a terrible romantic partner.  And we're told to dislike Dotty for pursuing Tad, but she seems to be a better match than dowdy Miss Hillary, who didn't seem to inherit any of Langley's charm, yet calls him "father" two seconds after their meeting.

I was never entertained by the latter years of AMC when Kendell was pining for Zach Slater, but I forgot what a steep fall in quality it was from Jenny and Jessie's summer in New York to the dreck of 1984 and Zach Grayson.

Edited by j swift