AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I am always jealous of people here & other places who havewatched AMC (& other soaps) since 'the good ol' days'! I've watched since I was 10 & that means 2003....LOL. ugh. I got attached to AMC for some reason right away, there was something about it...and though it's not as great now, that something is *still* there, but as faint as can be. I'll truly miss it..

• Members

That thread's gonna make me so sad now :(

I started watching in June 2011 when I was eleven years old, and even though that was the heart of Passanante's reign, and even though the vast majority of my AMC viewing experience has been of episodes from the last ten years, I take pride in the fact that this show, written by Passanante and Culliton and Rayfield and Cascio and McTavish, was a special, special thing for a kid who, at the time, needed another world to escape to for an hour every day. Perhaps that's why I'm never as hard on some writers as they probably deserve, because no matter how nonsensical one could say their stories were or how horrible one could say their writing was, there was always something, especially in that little 2002-2005 time span, that kept me entertained, kept me watching, and kept me sane. And then as I got more acquainted with the first 30 years, learning those characters and those storylines and as much as I possibly could about what AMC really is, at its core, the attachment I have for this show was born and will never, ever go away. AMC will always have a special place in my heart because of that, and yes, it sounds strange because it's "just a TV show," but I think we soap fans know something and have experienced something that people who haven't committed to watching a soap nearly every day for years upon years can never really understand.

Be glad we live in the time of the internet. In the 80s and 90s, after a long-running soap was canceled, that was it. Maybe you had video tapes, or magazine cut-outs. Maybe you were lucky and your soap got picked up for reruns. But in most cases? The show aired its last episode and that was it. I'm eternally grateful that Pine Valley will never more than a few keystrokes away.