AMC Tribute Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Erica's fame is a funny thing to measure. She spent years ascending in the modeling world, but didn't succeed at establishing herself in show business. For a few years, she succeeded as a magazine publisher, then definitely succeeded as an entreprenur. Along the way, her husbands increased in prominence. Also, of course, she's got her fame as a talk show hostess (Was The Cutting Edge strictly local? Could it be seen nationally, or at least in NYC?) and retroactive icon of her heyday. Did I miss anything?

I can't quite compare Erica to one person, although I suppose Janice Dickinson would be the closest analogue in terms of modeling (I'm open to better suggestions). And Tina Brown for the Tempo years. Enchantment was likely following the lead of Elizabeth Taylor, Cher and Joan Collins' perfumes, but I personally think of it more along the lines of Jessica Alba and the Honest Company (a surprise and highly lucrative second act). The retroactive icon of her heyday ... I guess Erica's like every woman who's survived to give commentary for a pop culture documentary.

Also, now that I'm writing this, I think there was a big missed opportunity not having Erica hook up with a rock star (he doesn't have to be British, but it wouldn't have hurt) during her modeling years.

• Members

Actually Erica is kind of like Estee Lauder.  She, like Erica, grew up in working class while dreaming of being an actress, famous and being around wealthy men.

She ended up co founding her own cosmetics company with the help of a wealthy husband.

• Members

Well, she never would have been a model so you have to start at an opening point where she is disappointed to begin. Then, where do you go? Because she's simply too short. She'd never have any modeling jobs. wouldn't even have anyone to rep her; the only way she's a model is Fantasy Island! So, AMC. She could have been a famous winning jockey! Maybe if she loved horses? I couldn't believe Esta said she had 8 horses.

• Members

You're welcome, Darn! If I remember correctly, Erica's early modeling career included things like appearing in ads for local department stores and catalog work. For better or worse, the show took her to unexpected heights.