AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think that Susan did her best work during Erica's addiction story. To this day when I watch her Woman of the Year speech, I cringe at the horror of Erica's public break down. Susan played Erica's break down perfectly, lashing out at everyone and then crying for her mother. I always tear up at the end. The rest of her AMC time was just alright at best, but I loved almost every second of Erica Kane.

• Members

I have always thought that SL's acting talents depend a great deal on who she's sharing the screen with at any given time. Some actors bring her down, some make her step up her game. Ie. Most of the time I think AM brings her down; while someone like DC always seemed to bring out the best in her acting ranging. But that's just my personal opinion.

• Members

I hope Lee Daniels will now come a-'callin.

Erica and all of the riffs on the character she's played in TV movies have been so rooted in the OTT. I'd like to see her play a chain-smoking alcoholic Lawnguylind-accented trashy mom in an indie drama. To me that would be a true test. No Ericaisms. I don't think she's limited as much as untested.

• Members

I think that quote is wrong lol Susan said she was personally called by Brian Frons and was told to head upstairs to the producers office at the studio, along with the rest of the cast, for a big announcement.

Ha, I wonder if she wanted to slap him though. I got this slight feeling from her tonight that she dislikes him a lot...when Jay asked her something about what they were going to replace AMC with, she kind of nudged her head down and referred to Frons as "this Mr. Brian Frons". LOL the way she said it, combined with her body language made me think she didn't like him. Maybe you will know what I'm talking about when you watch...

• Members

Didn't see this posted, sorry if it was & I missed it, but a SOD summary (courtesy of DontStare at SOC) talking about the shows cancellations & how it all went down, plus several responses from others. Lots of good tidbits here --

EP's of both AMC & OLTL were told the night before (the cancellation). E-mails went out to call everybody to a meeting the next day. At around 2 ET the next day Frons went to the AMC cast & crew to tell them about the cancellation. It was video conferenced to the OLTL peeps. He basically told them ABC is looking for a new generation of female TV viewers, and talked about how the Chew/the View, etc are the prgrams for that. An AMCer said the whole thing was in poor taste - him expressing how proud of he was of the replacements. Another didn't take it that way. Frons thanked them for their hard work and told them there was nothing they could do to change the decision. Some were more shocked than others. Tears, etc. Over 500 people will be out of work. Mala at SOW adds a lot of people in soap publishing will join that unemployed line. Carruther tried to give everybody a pep talk afterwards with around 100 more episodes left. A OLTLer concurs that they felt Frons was cold about the whole thing. Valentini gave that crew a pep talk as well mostly paying tribute to Slezak and Strasser. Stars like Strasser, Smith, Tognoni got the news second hand since they didn't tape that day. An AMC'er notes how difficult it was to finish that day of taping.

AMC was cut 4 months earlier earlier because they have less viewers. The Chew was ready to go, Revolution needs some time.

Peter Bergman is mad. He's all like ABC owns those soaps there was so much they could do before cancellation: cutting the cast in half, fewers sets, anything. James Scott adds he feels it was unnecessary, that AMC could have had a few more years. Maurice Benard says it's a shame how it went down. He has a lot fo friends on both shows. Barash of GH is against the idea of boycotts though as GH is in the same boat, so to speak. Nancy Lee Grahn talks for a while about GH/soaps. She's not sure ABC will be quick to get rid of GH b/c it means they'll be the first to get rid of soaps on a network. She talks about how soaps should have adapted in the last 5 years & feels the soaps haven't been doing the best they can for a long time to adjust/to be better.

There's really tons in both mags especially SOD. Other actors & executives commenting, comments from former stars of AMC. I can't possibly paraphrase it all.

• Members

You can't just "throw" a rally in the middle of the work week during the work day with just a week of planning and expect people to show up. That's a recipe for failure even for stuff that matters.

McManning really needs to give in the love. They're so much more together than they've ever been apart.

Archived