AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Members

Even if the rumors are true, and either AMC or OLTL (or both) is moving to NBC, the history of soaps moving from one network to another is not good. SEARCH FOR TOMORROW's ratings and viewership were virtually cut in half when it moved from CBS to NBC; and EDGE OF NIGHT never benefitted from ABC's decision to move it back to the 4 pm slot, as an overwhelming number of affiliates refused to air it then.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Very true. I rarely post and I hate to squash hopes on the rare occasions that I do, but I don't see AMC or OLTL going anywhere. The EON and SFT moves were in a different era -- ratings were higher and I have to think that even with recent budget cuts, production was cheaper. I doubt things really got expensive until the 1980s when excess was the order of the day everywhere. Even if Sony were to buy them, NBC still has to pony up money and airing expensive shows hovering around a 1 rating in the demos isn't a smart move financially for them. As so many have pointed out throughout this thread, it all comes down to money. They simply cost too much in exchange for the ratings they get. One of the more reputable stories I read in all of this is that AMC and OLTL cost between $750K and $1M a week. The replacement shows are probably going to cost half of that and ratings aren't going to be that much lower because there isn't much more room to fall. I don't know how much difference advertisers spend for a 1.0 v. 0.7 rating in the demos. I really think daytime is going to go the way of Saturday prime time -- just a bunch of cheap programs and reruns so that the networks can cut costs.

• Members

Sadly I think that's exactly the way the networks want it. It's all about the cheapest cost. They aren't making any effort in daytime anymore. Or anywhere, really.

Is it true that ABC tried to buy EON from P&G but P&G said no?

• Members

rickygoldin Ricky Paull Goldin

I'm going to find out if there is any truth to SONY buying AMC. Personally, I think its a long shot!

If Ricky wasn't able to find out whether the show was canceled, I'm certain he won't be able to find out if Sony is buying All My Children. :lol:

• Members

I love these actors but they need to stop tweeting about this stuff. They are at the bottom of the food chain. This is the business of business. It's a whole different level. There's an old Hindu(?) saying, "When the elephants fight, it's the grass that gets hurt." Guess which one you are in this, Ricky. Just keep your head down, don't cause trouble and cash the checks.

• Members

Gone Too Soon? 'One Life To Live' Grows In Ratings Post-Cancellation

"Compared to last week, OLTL was up by 263,000 viewers and vs. the same week last year, it was up by a whopping 507,000 viewers. For comparison, with the exception of AMC, which was up by 53,000, all other dramas were down year-to-year. OLTL was also No.3 in the key Women 18-49 demographic with 690,000 viewers, ahead of Days, The Bold & the Beautiful and AMC. OLTL was the only soap to post growth both vs. last week (+22,000) and last year (+62,000 viewers).

Second thoughts, ABC?"

Deadline Hollywood

• Members

The actors are the last to know anything. I highly doubt any actor without any real clout could find out.

We won't know anything until Sony or ABC say anything.

But, all the bad press ABC is getting, you just know they'll spin it and say "see we sold them so stop hating us".

Archived