AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If this is true and they place OLTL at 3PM it would be great to see who get the better ratings OLTL or GH LOL

Rumor from another board

Ok, I have to tell what I know. My cousin moved to LA after college and works in the entertainment industry. I wont say anything else about him as he is sworn to secrecy. However, he has kept me filled in on the whole AMC and OLTL cancellation for months. Sony is buying the shows, they have been in the deal since spring '10. Sony wants to own AMC and OLTL so they can sell them overseas like Days and Y&R. Currently ABC has never sold the shows to foreign countries. NBC has been looking for programming for it's afternoon schedule since Passions left but esp. since Jeff Zucker left. NBC has concluded that trying to create new reality based shows wont guarantee them a return on investment. As reality based programs wont differentiate them from the other networks, they want soaps. Comcast owns NBC and they can double their money by airing them online on comcast. Days was #8 in total streams over all television shows in January which is a big deal.

Well NBC will set standards as to what ratings they desire and such. OLTL is currently being produced cheaper than Days so I would think there wouldn't be many changes required as long as they maintain status quo. My source is pretty reliable as they are an employee of Sony. AMC will be forced to change it's production method to be more in line with the other soaps. They will have to decrease the amount of takes and will utilize cue cards to help the actors move faster through scenes. They will be required to do at least 70 pages per day average to bring them in line with the others.

Seriously I dont KNOW what to believe

• Members

I'm not sure whether you mean what the gap was when they changed networks (there was none, they aired on the old network on Friday, then the new network on the following Monday), or how long they lasted once they switched networks (Edge lasted another 9 years on ABC, 1975-84, or nearly 1/3 of its total 28 year run....while Search lasted another 4 years on NBC, 1982-86, or about 1/9 of its total 35 year run).

• Members

I think he means the gap between the original cancellation announcements and the pick-up announcements. Meaning, how long between "CBS Cancels Edge of Night" and "ABC Picks Up Edge of Night." Wasn't one of them an automatic thing? Like, P&G talked with the new network before the cancellation announcement was even made so that instead of a cancellation announcement, it was a change-of-network announcement. I could be totally wrong on that, though.

Plus, it's always seemed to me that in the 70s and 80s, soaps were usually given next to no time at all to wrap up storylines. Certainly not the nine months of airtime ATWT got. I think it's useless to compare AMC and OLTL's cancellations with any pre-AW soap cancellation. Things have changed tremendously.

• Members

In a way it would be funny if NBC, or someone else, picked up AMC and/or OLTL so that ABC would have to compete against their former shows. That would hilarious....especially if they were to air opposite The Chew and The Revolution. :lol:

• Members

Which is why I don't believe for a minute ABC would sell them to NBC, or CBS or FOX, for that matter. A cable network? Sure. But no way would Frons risk more egg on his face by selling either show to a competing broadcast network.

If NBC has made any inquiries to ABC, I'm sure Frons quoted them an astronomical unreasonable price.

• Members

A DAYS/OLTL block would remind me of DAYS/AW, actually. Weren't they opposite each other at one point? No?

I seriously, seriously doubt there is any truth to the rumor whatsoever, but it's an amusing thought. Unfortunately it would likely entail moving OLTL cross country, and the show's multigenerational ensemble would not survive that.

• Members

I don't know...it has happened before (EON, SFT)...not saying that it will now, but there is a precedent.

Again, that being said I do realize that the chance of it happening now is next to nothing....but crazier things have happened. :lol:

Archived