AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Of all the possibilities SONY seems the most believable. This isn't like Oprah or a cable channel making a big leap in buying AMC and OLTL rather with SONY we have a huge Hollywood empire that has the money and the brains to market soaps not just domestically but internationally as well. I do believe its possible maybe even likely SONY is talking with ABC/Disney over a purchase but to end up with a deal is another thing. Also SONY would also need to get a network to agree to air AMC and OLTL before they buy them, which leads us to NBC. NBC Daytime turned over timeslots previously used for soaps over to NBC News for the 3rd and 4th hours of TODAY, will they take those hours back? The TODAY expansion was Jeff Zucker's idea with him gone I guess thats a possibility, I have no idea what the ratings for those 3rd and 4th hours, although certainly Comcast could believe it idiotic to air a 4 hour version of TODAY simply because its cheap program, look where cheap program got NBC. Its unlikely NBC could convince the affiliates to give them two hours in the afternoon without giving them timeslots elsewhere, so its not just a simple matter of airing AMC and OLTL after DAYS as NBC would also have to make the decision to take away the 3rd and 4th hour of TODAY.

• Members

From a facebook post:

Sylvia Duarte Saw her at Spago tonight...tried to get her to spill the beans on who's holding her hostage on AMC..but no luck! They can't take away AMC!!! I'm going to sign every petition to save AMC!! Not giving up!

:lol: La Lucci at Spagos.

Incidentally, she's on with Rob Lowe and Moby. Can't wait to watch! :wub:

• Members

ABC would still have to be willing to sell. No network, business, etc. is going to do anything that poses a competitive risk to them. How people can say that ABC wouldn't care if the shows were aired opposite its new shows is absolutely stunning. Is an MBA really required to figure out the ways this could screw ABC in the end? This reminds me of the 2008 Favre trade speculation with people actually pondering whether the the Packers would trade Favre to a NFC division team. All I could do was shake my head.

• Members

ABC insists the soap genre is dead and daytime viewers don't want soaps anymore, if they really believe that then they'd love to have AMC and OLTL on NBC competing with them lol

You do have a point IF ABC Daytime was making the decision whether to sell or not because I don't believe the spin Frons gave when he cancelled them as they know soaps have potential and it would be a huge competitive risk, although this decision would be made much higher at ABC or even higher at Disney, the alternative for Disney is both shows die and money is never made from them again, so why wouldn't Disney want to make a lot of money selling SONY something they don't want anymore. Its not like Brian Frons can advocate not selling as it would be a huge competitive risk as he already made it clear AMC and OLTL are damaged goods with the cancellation decision, he would lose creditability if he still has any by making such a claim. Disney could simply want to make big bucks and could care less of any competitive risk for ABC Daytime that could result.

• Members

Cheap, hmm. There's a lot of actor reaction, both new quotes and from the social networks. They go into detail about the details backstage on the day of the cancellation. Frank & Julie were told the night before and e-mails were sent to all the actors in the morning for the meeting the next day. They have their insiders answer questions. It's very complete and thought out. I was impressed and I'm not usually impressed with the work in these magazines.

Who Cares About Her Opinion Hinsey gets Giddens with it and blames AMC for OLTL's cancellation.

Archived