AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Members

The ratings for the soaps have declined since the moment that they aired and it has never been about quality. NO scripted program lasts forever, the audience gets bored eventually. Also, the daytime audience has dwindled due to social changes. It is unrealistic to expect all the soaps to last until the end of the earth. They were going to get cancelled eventually.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not for nothing, but if we made a Which Soap Rag Will Fold First? thread, ABC:SID would probably be on the bottom rung. I predict, at the very least, they merge with CBS, include DAYS, call it SoapsInDepth, and it still folds before SOD and SOW.

Watch him take over for Tom Degnan on OLTL after AMC stops taping. JPiss is probably wet just thinking of the possibility of reuniting Cosgrove and Conn(ombino) on another failed soap.

Quite honestly, I'd like to see the character phased out altogether and Nathan Fillion comes back for the last month or so and competes with David for Dorian, ultimately winning the heart of Viki's nemesis. How fitting would it be for the show to end with the fans knowing Viki's going to be Dorian's mother-in-law, guaranteeing they'll be rivals for life, the one life they'll live.

• Members

I think that if the soaps had also changed, more would still be on the air. Soaps were considered out of step before but adapted and survived. No one in charge of daytime has cared for years about changing with the times.

Even this move away from soaps isn't a risk as much as a long list of cliche catchphrases that were dated ten years ago.

Until someone willing to take a chance gets involved with daytime again, we will probably be watching reruns of reruns of reruns in daytime within the next 5-10 years.

• Members

+1. When I started writing up my message to Kristen A. on Facebook. I cried.

Like I said...I'm more upset about the actors/writers (the good ones...like RC...who is pissed about this too. And, watched OLTL before he started writing) than I am the soaps themselves.

I'm totally adding that to the reasons I don't want kids too. I was raised with soaps. So was my mother. My grandmother...my great grandmother got her into soaps. She listened to GL when it was on radio in 1937.

Like I didn't have enough reasons already. This one takes the cake...and then frosts it and sticks it up in the Martin Attic where nobody can get to that yummy cake and that's what Frons has done to us!

Archived