AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Members

I am shocked with how horrible those replacements are. clearly they wanted out in a bad way and really didn't care what they replaced them with.

I am surprised OLTL is going off the air four months later than AMC, I thought both would go off the air the same day, although as a OLTL fan I am grateful for the extra months.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

http://blogs.abcnews.com/pressroom/2011/04/abc-evolves-the-face-of-daytime-television-with-the-launch-of-two-new-shows-the-chew-and-the-revolut.html

April 14, 2011 -- BURBANK, CA – Guided by extensive research into what today’s daytime viewers want and the changing viewing patterns of the audience, ABC is evolving the face of daytime television with the launch of two new shows, “The Chew” which will premiere in September 2011 and “The Revolution” (working title) which will premiere in January 2012. These new shows expand ABC Daytime’s focus to include more programming that is informative and authentic and centers on transformation, food and lifestyle -- cornerstones of programming that resonates with daytime viewers as evidenced by the success of “The View.”

:rolleyes:

• Members

Me to Their is no saving Days. Hell it came this close to geting the ax more than once and it was very serious a few years ago. With the ratings esp since Days is last place I see no hope unless JER rises from the dead ti write it again. It's sad kuz while OLTL wasn't my main show DAYS is. But I have come to tersm with it. It's a wrap. Let the countdown begin

• Members

This article is so sad....

Link: http://www.showbiz411.com/2011/04/14/abc-daytime-now-the-audience-replaces-the-actors

In the end, Agnes Nixon lives to see her work extinguished by ABC. She’s like the last victim of daytime TV. ABC announced today they’d take the low road and knock off both “All My Children” and “One Life to Live.” ABC Daytime’s Brian Frons took the cue from CBS and Procter & Gamble, which snuffed “As the World Turns” and “Guiding Light” in the last two years.

The era of the soap opera is just about over. Only four shows will remain–”Young and the Restless” and “The Bold and the Beautiful” on CBS, “Days of our Lives,” and “General Hospital” on ABC. It’s all being replaced by talk and scripted “reality,” cheap to produce, more inane to watch than a soap, with no redeeming qualities.

The day will come pretty soon when the entire audience will have replaced the actors who were on TV–it’s like breaking the fourth wall entirely. Why watch the show when you can be the show? Fifty years of brand loyalties are being thrown out, too, because the shows that are coming–about cooking and lifestyle–are interchangeable. They’ll be canceled quickly, new ones will take their places, over and over.

The writing was on the wall when ABC announced the end of SoapNet, their cable rerun operation. The network knew then that daytime was about to be scrapped. Moving “All My Children” to Los Angeles and destabilizing the show was the way to erode the audience–just the way CBS hollowed out “Guiding Light” by moving it outdoors into the snow, ice, rain and no studios. Whoever gives these people management advice deserves a gold star.

The silver lining? People will watch less TV in the afternoon. They’ll work, and if they don’t have work they’ll find other things to do. No one watches “The Talk” on CBS, and no one will watch any of this stuff, too. It’s just blather to fill time.

• Members

Dammit!!!!

Yeah....You should hear what I'm saying in person right now if you think that was bad. Plus, when I read this. I fainted. Literally fainted. Fell out of my chair. And, guess what ABC! I ain't watching GH! Eff GH!!! HARD!

What was the point of hiring Broderick? What was the point of bringing Roger Howarth back? WHAT THE F U C KAY was the point! ROBIN VICTORY IN EUROPE STRASSER I'M PISSED!!!

UGH! JUST UGH!

• Members

My condolences to fans of both AMC and OLTL (and to fans of all daytime in general, I suppose). Even though the writing's been on the wall for some time, for all the shows, it's doubly difficult to absorb the loss of this much history in one fell swoop. I think that's what depresses me most -- even if soaps do experience a rebirth or resurgence, as Vee suggests, so much of this history will have been wiped out or, at the least, derailed.

I can't wait for the cast-grabbing with the remaining soaps, though. I can just see it now: Susan Lucci IN as Dr. Marlena Evans!

Archived