AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'd say there's a very slight chance OLTL might last longer than January. If the new show in September really tanks, they might just replace it with the other new show in January.

Of course, we're talking real long shot, here.

I'm sorry for the fans of both shows who were in it for the long haul. Even though I gave up on AMC in the 90's and OLTL back in 2004, it still stings a bit to know they won't be among the last shows standing. (I mean, really...B&B will be on for two more years after they're gone :rolleyes: )

• Members

A docudrama would have been better than this. This seems a little weird for a daytime show on network television. I'm (somewhat) sad, but not shocked. They were both going to be gone in a year or two. AMC was the first soap that I've ever watched, and I'll always have fond memories of it, but it hasn't been the show that I love for years, so in a lot of ways, for me it had already been canceled.

• Members

Anne Sweeney: OK, that's it. I can't do it anymore, you call the rest of the family list.

Brian Frons: I can't call people Anne!

Anne Sweeney Frons dial!

Brian Frons: I'm supposed to be in mourning.

Anne Sweeney: Well then, wear a veil over your face while you do it!

Brian Frons: Hello Susan? It's Frons. FAH-RANZ! Yes I'm fine. Fine! I'm fine! I got some bad news. AMC & OLTL aren't with us anymore. I said AMC & OLTL have passed away. They've passed away! AMC & OLTL are gone. AMC & OLTL are dead! They're dead! No, DEAD! DEAD! DEAD! They're fine! They send their love! I am not doing that again! You can't make me!

• Members

You're right, as always, Vee. If the media was not so homogenized, this would already be happening. In today's world we should be able to have a variety of soaps or serialized shows in a variety of formats. 15 minute soaps. 10 minute soaps. Soaps that are diverse, soaps that are niche, soaps that have a decent budget, soaps that are filmed in a bathroom. Even radio soaps.

The problem isn't the genre, it's the stigma and the bigotry - both from those who sneer at daytime and those within daytime who sneer at change.

Soaps have pandered non-stop to a vocal minority, and they are dying as a result.

I truly believe if soaps had continued to be as progressive as they were until around 1994, they would be healthy and stable today. Not blockbusters, but enough to where the lights aren't blinking out en masse.

• Members

We all expected this, so I am not shocked.

And truth be told, while I can sympathize with fans losing their favourite shows, I am not saddened by this.

These shows were no longer what they used to be, and haven't been in years. I'd rather they go out now than continue to degrade themselves and what little audience they have left.

I'm grateful I still have the British soap industry to fall back on, well, mostly just EastEnders these days. At least when those shows get really bad, some change is made. It may not always be the best change, but the people there really have some care for at least trying to make changes.

• Members

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/04/abc-cancels-all-my-children-and-one-life-to-live.html

"While we are excited about our new shows and the shift in our business, I can't help but recognize how bittersweet the change is," said Brian Frons, president of daytime for Disney ABC/Television Group, in a statement.

Noting that the two new series were inspired by the success of "The View," Frons said, "We are taking this bold step to expand our business because viewers are looking for different types of programming these days. They are telling us there is room for informative, authentic and fun shows that are relatable, offer a wide variety of opinions and focus on 'real life' takeaways."

Archived