AMC and OLTL Canceled!

• Members

I'll make this brief and crossposted.

Sad, but not surprising. ABC wanted out and they made it happen.

I've said everything I wanted to say a couple weeks ago. These soaps did not have to die, they could have lived on and well, especially IMO OLTL. But I've got so much else going on these days, and the show has been so poor until very recently that I am able to say goodbye. Because soaps will be back, and maybe there will be some revival of the ABC line as their other shows wither and die. It wouldn't surprise me to see the big 3 ABC soap brands resurface in a different format in 10-15 years. In any event, soaps will be back. They always come back. Next time they just get to come back better.

These shows, and for me particularly my show, are proud institutions with some dignity left. I am grateful they have that and can go off with some intact, unlike the P&G soaps. I will of course be a sobbing mess as we approach the end, but for now, I am really okay. ABC wasn't having it and so it was time, but soap opera will get the last laugh. It always does.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I knew they'd fall together. What a bad day for Agnes Nixon.

Feel sorry for the actors, especially Robin Strasser and Victoria Slezak who were committed even when it wasn't easy.

At least AMC will wrap up with Susan Lucci, it's signature star. Has any other soap managed to end like that? Erica Kane Forever!

• Members

I think he only cares about GH. He cared enough about AMC to do a move but when it didn't get results then that was that.

I wish I were more surprised by both going at once but that seemed more and more likely in today's market. They know they can do what they want because soaps are seen as a dead genre.

• Members

I have to wonder why they're staggering the end dates. And what in the hell is with these replacement shows? Why is it that when a soap gets canceled these days, we always hear about one or two shows being the replacement for weeks (or months), then out of nowhere, these random ass shows swoop in and take over. I don't get it. I don't like it.

• Members

Frons is awfully stupid if he thinks GH can last on the lineup for longer than five minutes without the buffer of AMC and OLTL.

It'll all be back one way or another. All this encourages me to do is re-focus on my work and, further down the road once I've gotten deeper into what I'm doing now, go back and look at soaps' future.

• Members

I think this means the shows they were banking on fizzled out.

These are cheap jack shows that will sputter along for a few years and then fade unnoticed. I think that this is being done because the networks want to move out of any original programming in daytime, aside from one or two spots like The View.

Archived