ALL: Oprah-Are You The Biggest Soap Opera Fan?

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When Jesse/Jenny were on the run to NYC, Darnell got hate mail and death threats. I bet Darnell, Debbi and the actor who played Tom Cudahy (I can't spell his last name) could share some interesting hate mail stories in the green room.

That aside, I have no doubt Darnell was also job hunting. He's probably tired of the commute to LA. I agree with whoever above said that he looked so much better than he does on the show. He looked ten years younger. Must be that special Oprah air. LOL!

• Members

You're going to hate this, but Jesse/Jenny was more like 30 years ago :ph34r:

Well, considering that everyone on the show yesterday except for the husbands, Tony Geary, and Jeanne Cooper all joined their shows playing teenage characters, I think that teens and younger characters are very important parts of a soap's foundation. They just have to stop writing sh!tty stories for them.

• Members

I didn't really think Nader looked good lol His body, maybe, but in his face he looked like one of those guys who camps out under the big tree at the end of my street.

Darnell was foine, though. He looks better now than he did 30 years ago (:lol:). It's funny because usually when a soap star falls off of the radar for a long time, they usually age like us normal folk do, but considering DW was only doing a guest appearance here, indie movie there, he looks like he's been right in the soap spotlight nonstop since the 80s.

• Members

I have caught it online, bits and pieces that have amounted to the whole show.

It was a LOVE LETTER to all that is good and grand in daytime drama. La Lucci, Jeanne, D&D, MEK, A&G, All The Husbands...it was absolutely amazing.

It's clear to me that two characters strike Oprah Winfrey as something of an inspiration for her life: Erica Kane and Katherine Chancellor. Erica's life is what Oprah aspired to (ie: having it all) while Katherine's survivor instinct, I can imagine, helped propel a young Oprah Winfrey from backwoods Tennessee to university, Baltimore, Chicago, America and the world.

Jeanne Cooper's statement about Katherine: "Hope, strength and vision to a lot of people" translated to Oprah with Cooper noting "You've felt it!"

I think Oprah identifies with daytime because it is in her roots, it is a part of who she was and the woman she is today. I think she did a marvellous job saying thank you to an industry that seems to have given her so much, just as it has for all of us. The difference is that Oprah left daytime before the party was over, so she has nothing but fondness for the genre, something all of us could probably benefit from.

• Members

I agree. Yeah, it would've been nice to include other soap representation, but the fact that she devoted ANY time for one full episode is something we should be grateful for instead of the endless "Shame on you, Oprah" bulls&it. Nobody else is doing it, we should be happy such a high-profile talk show did this at all.

Archived