ALL: Oprah-Are You The Biggest Soap Opera Fan?

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

^_^ Rosie's crossed my mind too during this convo. I agree with Dr.NeilCurtis that I love the idea of a week devoted to soaps, yet I agree with marceline that that's not for Oprah. That was the point of my spiel about SoapNet, all of that missed opportunity for more love letters to the fans. And even if Rosie did a week devoted to soaps, she would have had to have made it somewhat universally appealing by getting on "They Started on Soaps" primetime and movie stars and whatnot. That's just business. SN is the only place where they could have truly and fully done it the way we would have liked it.

• Members

Dude, you know we're friends... So I really don't mean this except to give my point of view, but I think you're taking it too personally. I know you're not an AMC fan but who would you have wanted on? Who did you expect to be on? Why shouldn't Oprah at this point in her show pick the ones she remembers and has a raport with? From an old SOD interview from the 90s (I think it was SOD) I don't think she even watched GH though she obviously knew Luke and Laura--she said she watched AMC for a time religiously, and sometimes watched Y&R (Maybe she only even watched Y&R in the 70s when she had more time--when Kay was on of course but nobody really else still on). Lately Oprah has said that about all her "celeb" guests--that they're faves, and I believe to some degree they are, otherwise she prob wouldn't bother. The fresh faces of daytime isn't actually a bad idea, but what would Oprah even ask them? Her show doesn't have that kind of format, especially now.

She COULD have done more of a fan one--picking a few lucky fans to ask questions of their fave actors, but I think her core viewers would find that even more dull. I really don't know the alternative.

IMHO ;)

• Members

Oh the one her gay assistant (forgetting the name) made sure wasn't destroyed on the show ;)

I caught the end of the View before work today, and they had a performance for Sister Act--I waws a bit surprised they mentioned that its star, Patina Miller (who I love) played Erica's assistant on AMC for a while (and apparently was a model for a Susan Lucci clothing line on The View around the same time).

• Members

I think a Rosie week would have been her showing her AMC guest spots, saying she hated Loving, talking about Ryan's Hope, and talking about gun control. :lol:

I do wonder if she was a big reason why Soapnet ran RH. If she was I can't thank her enough.

• Members

Well yes, and it's also completely unrealistic expectation wise. She should address soaps dieing? Why when she never says that about any movie format she discusses on the show or anything else? Even when stars appeared on Oprah, Donahue, etc during Soaps prime--the shows really were not any different from this one...

• Members

Ceara was killed off camera on Loving though (Genie did play Cera the previous year on Loving for a month--Fall of 91 when the first major AMC/Loving crossover happened and she went there when she was fighting with Jeremy and they made up on the show, but by the time Jeremy's character officially was meant to move, I think it was obvious Genie was going back to GH or something, and rumour was it was her own choice to not continue the character--maybe she just didn't want to go to Loving.)

I did kinda want Darnell to mention the whole, now-hysterical Jacob stuff on Loving but I guess that would have confused even most of the hardcore fans in the audience.

• Members

Eric I caught that Sister Act performance too and that bit about the star being on AMC and modeling SuLu's lingerie on The View. :lol: But I was mostly preoccupied by her "end of the movie" hair and wondered how different the musical was from the film. :lol:

LOL Carl, yeah, I think it was when Morgan Fairchild was on (post-The City, or maybe it was someone else) when she went off on one of her RH cancelled for Loving, then The City, now even THAT's gone too rants. :lol: I certainly remember Rosie saying "my Delia" whenever RH came up. I think Kate Mulgrew herself was on when she talked about her coming back as a ghost to visit Ryan.

• Members

I think most of her choices made sense. You can't do a soap retrospective type of thing without Tony, Genie and Susan. When a non-soap watcher thinks of soaps, they automatically think of Tony and Susan, and Genie to a lesser degree. Debbie & Darnell made sense too, since they were the only black supercouple soaps have ever seen. I can understand Cooper, who's an icon. I thought MEK was a huge WTF. Don't laugh, but I would've gone with Van Hansis instead, as Luke was the first gay male character to share an on-screen kiss with another guy. Storywise, I think that is right up there with the history making of Jesse and Angie. Yes, technically Bianca had the first on-screen same-sex kiss, but that would've been AMC overkill. Looking at the big picture, since ABC obviously had a hand in orchestrating this episode, I have to think that AMC means more to them than OLTL. Just sayin'.

Archived