ALL: Oprah-Are You The Biggest Soap Opera Fan?

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Compare Oprah's audience retention to that of any soap. Sorry but the genre doesn't deserve "a few days." Not consecutively anyway. Oprah did soaps a favor. Enjoy it and be grateful.

And the problem with that is...?

She was nice enough to include GH and Y&R. She didn't need to do that. She could've made this a "Favorite Things" ep and devoted it completely to AMC.

• Members

There are a lot of people on Oprah who, in terms of success, don't deserve even one day. The genre itself deserves more than a day, IMO, for its past and impact on culture alone, although I am happy Oprah gave it even one day.

Oprah chose many years ago to do what she wanted instead of what she thought got public taste, and while I respect that, it did cause a ratings drop and a lot of people moved on from her show. So that's why I don't believe that having more than one episode of soap actors would have caused a mass walkout from viewers. Most of the people who are left are people who will watch to see her and what she is doing.

I don't mean to be rude, but I don't believe that disagreeing with the idea that more than one soap episode equals viewer death is ungrateful. I'm very happy that she had this show and I'm very happy that actors who have spent decades honoring and fighting for a genre that often has little respect for them got this chance to be on Oprah. I don't think it's ingratitude. That's another version of the idea that soap fans can't criticize a show because they should just be happy it's on the air, and I know neither of us agree with that.

• Members

Perhaps what I should have said was "be realistic."

If you'd asked a month ago, who on this board would've expected Oprah to do a whole show devoted to soaps? But now suddenly that's not enough. She should do a week. When has Oprah ever done a week of shows around a single subject?

Hardly. Soap fans should criticize shows because they/we are the consumers who are being asked to buy that product. Oprah's audience isn't the customer base for soaps, they're the customer base for Oprah. Her causes, her philosophy, her books, her favorite things... The fact that soaps got a little of that is just a fortunate happenstance.

• Members

I think people are just hungry for more. I think they're just so surprised and pleased that she even did this, along with the people who now wish their favorite actors or shows had the spotlight. I think they're saying that the genre itself has enough material for a week. I agree with you that she shouldn't do a week. I wish she'd done two days, although again I'm happy she did an entire episode.

That's true, but I just meant that ultimately the idea of be grateful for what you have is something which is often used against soap fans. Soaps are based on advertising, as is Oprah, and most else. People complain and get a reaction. I think most people are happy she had the show and while there will always be complaints I wouldn't take them all as people who are unsatisfied. But I see what you're saying.

Archived