ALL: Oprah-Are You The Biggest Soap Opera Fan?

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Haven't read all the responses, but....

1) SuLu's nose story was such bs! :lol:

2) SuLu's house is beautiful

3) SuLu has the Erica Kane portrait in her house!

4) Darnell's mugging is so annoying. Calm down, honey!

5) MEK came across very likable

6) Michael Nader! Love him! He looked really good.

• Members

I can understand MEK because Tad was very popular at a time when AMC was probably at it's pop culture zenith (80s, especially early 80s - a lot of people knew the Marian/Tad/Liza story) but MEK and Tad are so very different today that it was jarring.

• Members

:huh: I don't even know what to say to that. But I just mean that in the movie, Whoopi wears her wig hair all big and out like that at the end when it's revealed that she's not a real nun. I was just wondering if they fudged with the storyline, but you saying that it now takes place in the disco era pretty much answers that question. :P

• Members

Yeah.... he was the only one that didn't really fit. I kind of maybe feel they should have filled his spot with David Canary? I am biased though. I just feel he meant more to AMC and the genre as a whole than MEK did or has.

• Members

I remember when I got into AMC in the 90s, my aunt it turned out watched religiously but only during her three years of university, and the Tad/Lica/Marian story was the first thing she remembered and asked if they were still on.

It is jarring. I almost wonder if MEK knew that--well he must really. He did seem likeable and it was interesting that he mentioned the Damian story (which obviously Oprah didn't care or know about :D )--I'm sure he can't be happy that that was cut short (for whatever reason)--and Tad's interactions with Damian were basically the best Tad has been (IMHO) and the most naturally Tad like, in where you'd expect him to be now--that he has been in a very very long time.

• Members

I think her guest selection was perfect. Icons from back in the day who are still with their shows (save for Genie, but Luke&Laura is one word) and who she has some knowledge/actual fandom of. I would love to see Erika or Robin on for example, but it's less interesting when Oprah doesn't have some sort of viewer experience or personal connect. Perhaps that's why the DOOL folks were dropped, besides the fact that she show was crowded enough already for the hour.

• Members

She made it sound like that one was solely her idea--so maybe he was a fave? Her and the actor did seem to get along, even more than the others maybe. And while this was obviously a nostalgi show, I did get a sense that some of it was meant to point out that these actors and characters are still kicking around out there--even if I don't think Oprah has watched 20 seconds in ages. Tad's been on the longest of the current cast since Susan...

Exactly my thoughts.

Wait--I haven't read all 87 pages of this thread--but we heard the DAYS actors were dropped? Which ones?

• Members

Seeing David Canary and MEK and Cady in a segment could have been good, and then in that segment they also could have mentioned James Mitchell.

I guess it would have been tough to find clips over the last decade which weren't about Babe Is Love.

I wish Larry Keith had been acknowledged but then since AMC didn't bother to do that I can't say Oprah should have.

Archived