ALL: Oprah-Are You The Biggest Soap Opera Fan?

• Replies 526
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Internet polls don't mean a heck of a lot, especially when we have fans of these two defunct shows that have being going on various message boards, and telling people to vote for these two shows in the hope that Oprah will re-start them on her network. That's something that I find funny, and not just because it's not logical to think that either of those shows is coming back, but I wonder how many of these people who want Oprah to invest her money into two dead shows, publicly complained about the lack of diversity on both shows during the time that they were on the air.

She picked her favorites, and people who the average viewer, even if they aren't a soap fan, would know. It's just sad (I guess) that the average person knows who Susan Lucci is, but doesn't know who Alicia Minshew is. It's just a result of soaps not being very popular.

It is funny that most of the people who Oprah had on are actors who soap producers don't care about either because in the producers' minds they are too old, or the wrong race. Lucci is pretty much used as a prop, Fronz is shocked that people are okay with watching black characters, and as Genie Francis said, if she was still on GH, she really wouldn't have anything to do, but be a victim all of the time. Yet, at one time all of those actors and characters were household names, and many people still know who they are, but the producers of the shows are too stupid to take advantage of that.

• Members

If Oprah would get the rights to show reruns of any soap from 15-20-25-30 years ago, that would be surprising, though thrilling. I would never expect her to resurrect a show that has gone off the air, especially a soap opera that she was not personally invested in as a viewer. Oprah never claimed to want to become the savior of the daytime soap opera genre.

• Members

I thought Mike Nader was looking good, better, but then they did the close up and I saw that missing tooth and my post got edited with the quickness.

Black people look great on Oprah, period. :lol: Black people are difficult to light (why Darnell looks so ashy on AMC in comparison) and of course Oprah can afford to have the very best and that's exactly what she has. She had her lighting overhauled several years ago, and many of the caucasian guests comment on how great they look on Oprah because the lighting is top notch to enhance her darker skin tone.

• Members

Same here, because he didn't look that way in the candlelit wine We Love Soaps interview which couldn't have been even a year ago. Oh, and I love what you said about Darnell and Oprah, ITA, he spoke for a lot of people with that, as gushy as it seemed.

• Members

I didn't notice Michael Nader's tooth until mentioned here.

Anyway, watching the show again my favorite moment was given by Oprah herself. While introducing the husbands she got to Mike Roy and like a total fan she said "Husband # 4 and 7 Adam Chandler played by David Canary! Nicholas Surovy who played Mike Roy! ---who married Erica but it wasn't considered Legal Remember that? Husband # 5 and 6..." It just made me laugh because knowing minutia is the mark of a soap fan, to know all this meaningless nonsense, and here is Oprah with her zillions and businesses and she knows Mike Roy's marriage wasn't legal. She could hold her own in an AMC discussion I'm sure.

• Members

No one was saying it should have been, it was saying that it would have been nice to see a week worth of shows with those themes. Every fan here is entitled to their own opinion about the show and who they would like to have seen. I could careless if Oprah had on the original cast of AMC I still would have watch, because I am soap fan not a character or couple fan.

Archived