Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

It amazes me that reruns of The Doctors, a LONG forgotten soap, have been so successful that they have their own streaming service that you have to pay for. You can convince me that people pay for that, but wouldn’t pay to stream the current or more well known soaps. The fact that they don’t even try is crazy. It doesn’t even have to be on All Access! If they did a separate “soap” channel on Amazon Id gladly pay to subscribe. With Proctor & Gamble, they had the AOL deal and Another World used to be on Hulu. They could easily stock a Soap Channel since that stuff has already been converted. 

• Members

SO true, ESPECIALLY with the Kay/Jill feud from the 70's when it was at its best!! The first 10 years were the best of Y&R, hands down! With the airing of the first 2 episodes and Kay's facelift reveal, I looked on the official Y&R's Facebook page and scoured the comments section of those posts and you wouldn't believe how many people wanted more or for them to start from the beginning! So there's definitely a market for it.

• Members

Agreed. If Sony, P&G, ABC and the other companies that own these soaps got together and put their back catalogues and the current new shows on a Soap Opera Streaming Platform it would work, they might even be able to bring back AMC or OLTL again. It would also allow Days and other soaps that are skating on thin ice on broadcast TV the opportunity to slowly move to an online streaming platform and allow these shows a stronger future.

• Members

@will81 From the lawsuit, we know Days needs money. Based on that, it’s insane Ken Corday doesn’t get Days streaming. You could put it on Peacock where it can get revenue due to the ads, or like The Doctors and do a fee where people pay to watch the episodes. People are insanely crazy about Days online. They’d easily make money doing something like that. 

• Members

I think Corday is actually desperate to do that from what I have heard from him. It seems it is NBC that isn't, and I am not sure if Corday has the option to shop the back catalogue around, but honestly if any shows back catalogue is going up, it will most likely be Days. Once Corday finds a way to do it. 

If Sony has digitized Y&R and B&B then they need to work with Corday and put all three shows up. I do think there is enough interest for a pay streaming service to offset costs, and even if they have to scrub some music, I will accept that to a certain point. 

As you mentioned The Doctors has done extremely well. Sometimes I feel like we are on the verge of getting more, just not sure when. The CBS reruns have done well enough to show enough people are interested. 

• Members

That's why Corday sued Sony - in an attempt to force their hand and actually do something to benefit DAYS. I agree with you wholeheartedly, I think DAYS would do well on Peacock. 

Sony has no role in B&B. That show is 100% owned by Bell-Phillip Television Productions Inc. 

It isn't NBC that controls the distribution of DAYS. Sony is the distributor, they market the show to all broadcasters - so it is ultimately Sony who negotiates with NBC for the broadcast rights to the show. Either Sony and NBC have got a deal with streaming, or the rights for streaming remain in limbo. 

If I were NBC, I'd be insisting on the DAYS episodes for Peacock. It really is a no-brainer. 

• Members

Oh right, I knew that and totally flubbed, haha

Yeah I meant more NBC wasn't willing to or was holding out on streaming the show. I thought that was what Corday meant when he said NBC was not coming to the table. Not that they had any right to distribute, more they had the platform for it, and I was wondering if Corday through Sony has the right to shop a deal around or not. Thanks for clearing that up though

Edited by will81

• Members

I do wonder if we’ll ever see box set-style curated stories, like a few episodes detailing Marlena’s possession or a series highlighting the Bo/Hope romance, which may actually be a much better bingeing experience. They’d likely have to deal with some music replacement stuff, but at least it wouldn’t be such a gargantuan task for so little payoff. They’d never get a license fee to cover the costs of remastering and dealing with rights for thousands of episodes, especially with ‘80s episodes where there was so much popular music.

• Members

Hey everyone, someone is uploading a bunch of partial episodes and clips from 1982. Check out the soap vault (I don't know how to link it, sorry but link is in @ChickenNuggetz92signature) in Y&R - clips - 1982. So far full of stuff I haven't seen from early 1982.

Sorry for some reason every time I try to link to it, it never works.

• Members

Thank you soo much i have been trying to keep up with it but im happy someone finally put them in.

I've been seeing some of the scenes ive never seen before and i was trying to figure out who was greg but im use to the one who dated nikki i forgot his name.

Also karen is sort of interesting, I've always wondered if lucas left town with her, also seeing jack and patty history is amazing cause it gives people an idea of what there relationship was about.

• Members

Those clips are awesome... a HUGE thank you to whoever is our mysterious benefactor! It looks like it has Jerry Douglas' debut, Paul & Kay's first scenes together, and the scene where Allison Bancroft brings out a life size cut out of Nikki stripping... I've wanted to see that forever! 

Please register in order to view this content

@ltm1997 check it out!

• Members

Also the first episode in there from early March (I think around March 1 - 5)!!!! the end of April/Barb/Dorothy and Wayne

Poor Cash, I actually felt so bad for him. 

The first episode posted is a full one too

Howard McGillan took over for Wings Hauser who was the Greg married to Nikki

ETA: Lol at Liz "Setting to be married"

Kay "Is that a bad thing?"

Liz "You've been married three times already"

Edited by will81

• Members

From what I understand Barbara either trafficked drugs or stole money from people who did or something like that. Hence the nose job in that 1981 ep, she was on the run. Pretty sure it was a dropped plot point. Bell kinda fumbled through this family and then shipped them off. Despite Y&R being a bit of a mess 80 - 82, still loving these episodes