Y&R: Old Articles

20 hours ago, will81 said:

Every time I see Phillip it reminds me of what a big mistake it was getting rid of him. He really should have fallen back into drinking, divorced Nina and been a complete mess while she was going through her stuff with David, then with Cricket and Danny's help gotten sober fought Nina for custody while she was on trial, but ultimately changed his mind and the pair should have been on the road to reconiliation until Phillip meets Victoria. He really should have taken Ryan's place in that whole story. They were about the same age and with Phillip's past drinking problems Victor and Nikki would have been dead set against it. Pitting Kay against Victor and Nikki and putting Jill in the middle of her boss and son, not to mention having Jack and Jill side with one another. This also would have made Nikki's drinking story a way for Phillip and Nikki to bond, thus giving Nikki more reason to support the marriage. Just the richness of history at play and the dynamics would have been amazing.

Gotta say sometimes I miss certain elements Brenda brought to Jill that Jess didn't. But watching episodes like this, I know Brenda was capable of delivering, but she wasn't doing justice to that part of Jill by 1987, she lost any subtlety. Jess was brilliant and brought so much depth back to Jill. 

I agree about Philip. I know Thom wanted to leave but while he did bring a sweetness and earnestness to the role, they could have recast (if it had kept us from having to deal with Ryan, all the better).

I sometimes struggle with seeing Jess in these first few years as it feels like she's still in Brenda's shoes, but this episode does show a vulnerability that I think Brenda had struggled with by the time of her exit. Jess was terrific.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks to a Kind person on Facebook here's the full episode of the Dru/Lillie Bell confrontation at Olivia's birthday. This episode has always been requested so I'm glad I was able to download and upload properly! :D 

4 minutes ago, soapfan770 said:

07F61A4D-3308-44AE-A0AE-7D24D10725A1.jpeg

BTW thank you as always @YRfan23, your early 90’s collection always gives

me joy 🙂.

I think that picture was from the Emmys 2-3 years ago! :)  Both actresses still look stunning!

Your welcome my friend! :D I'm always excited when I'm able to add and share more from my collection. 

52 minutes ago, YRfan23 said:

I think that picture was from the Emmys 2-3 years ago! :)  Both actresses still look stunning!

Your welcome my friend! :D I'm always excited when I'm able to add and share more from my collection. 

I follow Jess on Facebook, haha I loved she recently took a poll on all the recent eps reran what everyone’s favorite was thus so far; I think from what I could tell on her page the 1998 attic fight, Glow by Jabot era eps  and 1990 Marge ep were leading the way. 

2 hours ago, YRfan23 said:

Thanks to a Kind person on Facebook here's the full episode of the Dru/Lillie Bell confrontation at Olivia's birthday. This episode has always been requested so I'm glad I was able to download and upload properly! :D 

Phew that was so good. I just watched the Barber family drama. Lillie Belle was just wicked! Love her. I want to know what happened after this.

Olivia was so sweet in her earlier appearances, when did she become such a harridan? Was it after Nathan's death?

4 hours ago, Darn said:

Olivia was so sweet in her earlier appearances, when did she become such a harridan? Was it after Nathan's death?

I'm thinking that a significant turning point was when she discovered Nathan's affair with Keesha. Olivia completely lost it, though at the time her rage was completely reasonable and justified considering the circumstances.

It's probably one of Tonya Lee Williams' most memorable performances, and could have been the beginning of a more complex, stronger and hardened Olivia. Unfortunately, later storylines instead placed Olivia into situations where she acted unreasonably and often out of spite. While her behaviour in later years mostly made sense in the context of Nathan's betrayal, I do think it is a shame that the writers (Alden?) chose to take her in a bitter direction.

9 hours ago, YRfan23 said:

I remember watching Victor's death story from 1993.. Nikki, Ashley and Victoria were devastated when they though victor died!!!! 

9 hours ago, YRfan23 said:

Oh interesting! I recognise the TV2 channel idents; this is actually a recording of the New Zealand airing in 1997 (New Zealand was 4 years behind). If you pause at the right time you can also see about one frame of a Shortland Street promo after the opening credits, and one frame of a Friends promo after the end credits.

As for the episode itself, the Dru/Lillie Bell confrontation was a long time coming. It took a long time but it was great to see Dru finally vindicated.

I've always wondered what the original intention was supposed to be with Danny and Bernadette. Seemed like it was building up to something like what later happened with Phyllis the following year.

4 hours ago, blueberrywaffle said:

Hello ^-^

I was wondering if anyone has episodes from the 70s? I really enjoyed the first two episodes they showed on Friday.

Someone here (not me) made this playlist some time ago.  It also has episode 205 which is where Jill goes to the mansion for the first time (someone was asking about that). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL2e3F3G2q7Jp0IPokN5yhgBcyIMBXmsde&v=kqR6KwGkavw 

6 hours ago, BoldRestless said:

Someone here (not me) made this playlist some time ago.  It also has episode 205 which is where Jill goes to the mansion for the first time (someone was asking about that). 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL2e3F3G2q7Jp0IPokN5yhgBcyIMBXmsde&v=kqR6KwGkavw 

Ok, thank you very much! ^-^

I was not born then so sadly I never got to see these episodes... I love the old shows so much more than recent ones.

I wish I could see all the episodes from 1973 - 1979! XD

Does anyone have the episode where Phillip III dies?

13 hours ago, Darn said:

The Nathan situation certainly turned a somewhat repressed Olivia harder and more reserved.

The main issue was that she was married to Shemar Moore with his megaton popularity. Take the Callie story for example: After Nathan's dangerous cheating, it's certainly understandable why Olivia would overreact. But the show did not want Malcolm to come off badly AT ALL and therefore kept throwing Olivia under the bus for him. Over and over again.

11 minutes ago, YRBB said:

The Nathan situation certainly turned a somewhat repressed Olivia harder and more reserved.

The main issue was that she was married to Shemar Moore with his megaton popularity. Take the Callie story for example: After Nathan's dangerous cheating, it's certainly understandable why Olivia would overreact. But the show did not want Malcolm to come off badly AT ALL and therefore kept throwing Olivia under the bus for him. Over and over again.

So true!

I have to say - although Olivia became so sanctimonious and annoying, I appreciated her character. I watch the shows to see different personalities and at times disagree with them. I like that she was so subdued and reserved. I miss her character.