Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I was watching one of the Locher Room As the World Turns reunions and it featured Jennifer Landon who of course was our final Heather Stevens. She didn’t mention Y&R by name, but talked about when she retired from acting for 2 years because she felt like a failure and like she just wasn’t confident in her ability to do a good job. She mentioned her age when she did it and I realized it was when she got fired from Y&R! Thankfully she did eventually go back to acting, but it’s a shame she felt the need retire on the back of that. I thought she was great as Heather, particularly after Eden Riegel and I hated when they fired her. There was so much more story for Heather and Daniel, not to mention the potential for Heather with Adam. 

Random story, but I thought it was interesting! 3 Emmys and she couldn’t even keep a soap gig, nor find an agent. These stories always shock me, particularly for someone as talented as her. 

• Members

THANK YOU  so much for posting these episodes!  I recently started watching the show and it's been so difficult to find episodes online.  By any chance, do you have more recent ones?  From spring/summer 2018? Or spring 2017? I would be forever grateful.

~VS

• Members

I’m continuing my Y&R viewing, currently on March 29 1993. I had stopped due to the classics we were getting, but I’m back into them now. One thing I love are the unique combinations of characters interacting that we no longer have. On paper Bill Bell stories took a long time to reach their climax, but the shows zoom by because he doesn’t focus just on the story. It isn’t scene after scene of the same people talking about the same thing. 

For example, Nina is involved in a love triangle with Ryan and Victoria and Christine is married to Danny and she just went through the stuff with Michael, but by pairing Nina/Cricket into regular scenes together it breaks up the repetitiveness of just placing the couple together all the time. Having friendships and utilizing them is *vital* to the community feel and also to keep the shows from being so damn boring. I wish they still realized this. 

Douglas/Victor, Lynn/Paul, Cricket/Nina, Brad/Neil, Nikki/Katherine are just as important as their romantic pairings. I love tuning in and not knowing who is going to interact with whom. For a studio based show they do such a great job of creating a world. Even these older episodes are produced more like a prime time show IMO. The irony is that now they WANT to look Primetime , but it just looks cheap. 

• Members

I've added an actors/characters section to the guide of episodes mentioned above, with first and last airdates...

The dates were obtained mainly from videos of the episodes, or from detailed recaps or reliable sources. However mistakes can always occur, please let me know and I'll update the document! Also if you have any further info...

Web link : http://www.feuxdelamour.com/guide.pdf

• Members

As you may remember, in 2016 when Y&R celebrated the 11 000th episode, the actors were photographed with signs showing their first episode's number.

You can see theses photos here : https://www.soap-passion.com/news-soaps/1047-le-11-000eme-episode-des-feux-de-l-amour-arrive-cette-semaine.html

But unfortunately I haven't seen any photo of Beth Maitland from this event... And I don't know yet when she appeared in 1982.

As for Melody, if we believe in these photographs, her first episode is #1503, which is certainly dated February 20, 1979, according to episode counts, dates on the scripts and preemptions around this date.

Melody's first airdate is confirmed by these articles I could find :
- https://ew.com/tv/2019/02/19/melody-thomas-scott-40th-anniversary-young-and-the-restless/
- https://www.ocregister.com/2019/02/20/young-and-the-restless-devotes-entire-episode-to-nikki-newman-on-soap-characters-40th-anniversary/
- https://www.fame10.com/trending-news/yr-to-honor-melody-thomas-scotts-40th-anniversary-on-the-series-with-special-episode/
- https://www.soapoperanews.net/2020/02/melody-thomas-scott-celebrates-41-years.html

• Members

My recollection is that Beth Maitland first appeared on-screen about 4 episodes after Eileen Davidson.  (Miss Davidson debuted in #2350, so I'd say Maitland was about #2354 or #2355.)  Both of their initial scenes involved graduations in the spring of 1982.   John Abbott went first to collect Ashley from college.   (Ashley was graduating from college in the spring of '82.)  When we first saw Eileen Davidson's Ashley, she was living in her sorority house, was very bouncy, beautiful, aggressive, and straight-forward.   A few episodes later, John Abbott collected Beth Maitland's Traci from boarding school.  (Traci was graduating from high school in the spring of '82).  Traci was all downtrodden, bashful, and indecisive.   Both of the characters were clearly identified and developed from the moment we saw them.    A few episodes after their initial appearances, they were both living in Genoa City with their father and served as bridesmaids in Jack and Patty's wedding.         

• Members

That's awesome. I wish as a tribute they had Jeanne Cooper's photo and episode #. Would have been nice

So it seems Eric's first episode was Feb 8, 1980. I assumed he started with the first hour long episode, Feb 4. Unless my episode count is wrong.

Was Kate Linder's first episode April 16, 1982? Making Eileen's around Jun 11, 1982 and Beth roughly Jun 17, 1982. This all seems to line up with their first mentions in synopsis.

ETA: I was a week out, sorry. I changed the dates

ETA: So wait Lauren possibly first appeared in Jan 25, 1983? Is the following her first appearance

THE YOUNG & THE RESTLESS: Week of January 24 - January 28, 1983

(12:30pm - 60 minutes - CBS)
Patty had a miscarriage.  Max and Eve prepared a potion for Victor.  Although she’s a virgin, Traci pretended to be a swinger with Danny in front of her school chums.  Alex realized Paul didn’t really kill Pam.  Frank came out of a coma.  Giving in to Allison’s demands, Earl moved in with her.  Stu investigated Paul’s connection to the mob.  Paul warned Cindy to leave town as she’s the only witness to the fact the mob framed Carl.  Pete secretly made video tapes of Nikki’s strip act.

And Lauralee Bell possibly July 15, 1983?

Edited by will81

• Members

I also wish they had!

Yes I think so... And this episode was taped on April 8 according to the script and also according to Kate Linder.

Yes I think so!

Yes I think so!

Thank you very much, the noose is tightening around Beth Maitland !

If I lived in Los Angeles, I would go the UCLA Library which has almost all (if not all) the scripts of the first decades, at least to check the first airdate of Beth Maitland... but also of many others, at least :
- the Fosters : Julianna McCarthy, Brenda Dickson, James Houghton, Charles H. Gray, Bond Gideon
- the Brooks : Dorothy Green, Jaime Lyn Bauer, Pamela Peters Solow
- the Chancellors : Jeanne Cooper, John Considine, Beau Kayser
- the Prentisses : K.T. Stevens, John McCook, Tom Ligon
- the Reeds : Roberta Leighton, Erica Hope
- the Williams/Stevens : Brett Hadley, Carolyn Conwell, David Winn, Tammy Taylor, Melinda Cordell, Janet Wood
- the Abbotts : Brett Halsey, Marla Adams
- and miscellaneous ones : Jeff Cooper, Meg Bennett, Michael Evans, Margaret Mason, Steven Ford, Alex Donnelley, Michael Damian, Patty Weaver, Frank M. Benard, Lauren Koslow, Colleen Casey, Susan Seaforth Hayes, Robert Parucha, Don Diamont...

Since the scripts don't mention the actors' name but only the characters', I guess it would be difficult to guess from them the first airdate of an actor who comes after another one, like :
- Donnelly Rhodes in 1974 (Phillip)
- David Hasselhoff in 1975 (Snapper)
- Brian Kerwin in 1976 (Greg)

- Caleb Stoddard in 1976 (Derek)

- Victoria Mallory in 1977 (Leslie)
- Joe LaDue in 1977 (Derek)

- Wings Hauser in 1977 (Greg)

- Lynne Topping Richter in 1979 (Chris)

- Deborah Adair in 1980 (Jill)

- Lilibet Stern in 1980 (Patty)
- Dennis Cole in 1981 (Lance)
- Howard McGillin in 1981 (Greg)
- Jerry Douglas in 1982 (John)

- Brenda Dickson in 1983 (Jill)
- Andrea Evans Massey in 1983 (Patty)
unless a significant time has passed between 2 actors' tenure...

Edited by feuxdelamour

• Members

John McCook's first airdate was Oct 30, 1975 and David Hasselhoff was Dec 8, 1975

Please register in order to view this content

I can give you a rough idea on others, like the week they started or ended. Dennis Cole is most likely Feb 2, 1981. Not 100% confirmed, but within that week and more than likely that date

James Hougton left around May 76 and Kerwin came on about 6 months later, close to the time Bill died. Kerwin lasted about 6 months and Wings took over roughly 6 months later in Dec 77. He left early September 81 and Howard McGillan took over in October 1981. Greg was last mentioned in synopsis on July 1982.

Victoria Mallory was most likely Jan 13, 1977. Even in the script they were not sure if she was going to be on that episode or not

Tammy Taylor left around July 1980 and Lilibet came on in early December 1980. Lilibet stated that "Patty went upstairs one day and didn't come back down until 6 months later" Lilibet signed a contract with CBS in November 1980 and Patty returned to synopsis the week of December 8, 1980

Edited by will81