Y&R: Old Articles

• Members

This was so amazing to read!!!

Please register in order to view this content

man I say this often but your memory is just awesome!!!

I know “Kay” might seem less formal to call her by but to me personally I always like saying “Katherine”..haha if I write “Kay” it’s when I don’t Feel like writing out “Katherine” lol

interesting that Jill did call her “Kay” after Phillip died because in some post 70s Phillip death clips I’ve seen or heard it seemed like Jill for some reason still called her “Mrs. Chancellor” I think even Deborah Adair’s Jill still called her that in one scene but then she called her “Kay” after she married John...the scene is an a compilation video I have of the 70s/early 80s and DA’s Jill says: “I’m now as rich As you are Kay!” Or something like that.

Didn’t Liz start alternating between “Mrs.Chancellor”  and “Katherine” sometime in the 80s too? When she returns in Summer 1993 when Katherine has married Rex she still refers to her as “Mrs.Chancellor” and even apologizes to Rex saying she will always be “Mrs.Chancellor” to her. 

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I don't remember Ma Foster referring to her as ANYTHING except "Mrs. Chancellor" up until that (ridiculous) storyline circa 2003 when it was revealed that Jill had been adopted.   At that point, Ma Foster inexplicably started calling her "Katherine", which I thought was utterly jarring and absurd.  (But then again everything about that particular storyline was jarring & absurd, lol.)   Liz might've occasionally referred to her in the mid-1980s as "Katherine" when she was FURIOUS with her about something.  ("If you don't stop this drinkin', you're gonna kill yourself, Katherine, and you'll have nobody to blame but yourself!" )  Those were rare occasions though.  She normally called her "Mrs. Chancellor".  

It's hard for me to type the word "Katherine" in regards to Jeanne Cooper's character, because to me she's "Kay Chancellor".  That's all I heard everyday during my childhood in the 1970s.   Phillip said "Kay" about 100 times per episode, and when the cast list rolled she was identified as "Kay" on there as well.  In fact, even in the old scripts she's referred to as Kay.  ("Kay picks up a cigarette and lights it.  She moves toward the telephone.  But before she picks up the receiver, Kay suddenly notices the photograph of Phillip on the desk.  She gazes at it with love, nostalgia and sadness."  That's just the way the writers treated her throughout the 1970s, and that's the way those of us who watched in the 1970s normally think of her, I guess.) 

A more modern example would be Lauralee Bell's character.  Some newer viewers call her "Christine".  I always have to pause and think, "Who on EARTH is Christine?"  To me, that character is Cricket Blair.  The Cricket character started popping up on a recurring basis about 1983, and became a full-time cast member in 1986.   For all those years, and for several years afterward, everyone on the show called her Cricket.  Nina called her Cricket, Phillip called her Cricket, all the Abbotts called her Cricket, Jill and Kay called her Cricket.  When the closing credits rolled she was clearly identified as Cricket Blair.   Then one day in the very late 1980s, we found out her name was really Christine, and Cricket was just a nickname.  Scott Grainger started calling her Christine while batting his eyes stupidly, and then suddenly Danny Romalotti was doing it too, and then Paul was, and then Jill and Kay were, and all the Abbotts were.   I guess everyone except Nina jumped on the Christine bandwagon.  But to those of us who'd suffered through all that Junior Jabot mess in the middle 1980s and watched her make goo-goo eyes at Danny, and watched her deliver stern self-righteous lectures to Phillip Chancellor about alcoholism (with a smart toss of her lovely blonde hair at the conclusion of her sermon), she's just plain old Cricket and always will be.  

Same goes for Kay.   Once you get used to a certain name, it just kind of stays with you, lol.           

• Members

How much did Kay"Katherine" interact with Snapper & Greg Foster ? I know Jill & Liz and later Bill interacted with her the most ? Did Katherine have scenes at all with Jennifer Brooks ? Someone said there was a hilarious episode where Katherine, Jennifer and Vanessa Prentiss all winding up in the office of a plastic surgeon on the same day. Did that happen or is it someones faulty memory ?

• Members

I heard that same thing to and I have no clue if it was true or just something made up just to say they all interacted, I've always tried to figure out if kay and jennifer had scenes back then but what i did read i think in 1974 or 75 i think it was Liz who got married to bill again and everyone came to congratulate her so i heard Kay and phillip arrived and jennifer and Stuart arrived, that's the only scene i heard about with all of them in one room

• Members

Does anyone have copies of the "The Young and the Restless" bible? I am curious on what it says about the show. Many show bibles I read had a section which involved the thematic concept. Even Dark Shadows had one. I am curious to what Y&R has.

• Members

They have a scene with her in 1976. When Jill decides to keep Phillip and Kay threatens legal action. Snapper and Greg head to Mrs. Chancellor's place and have it out with her. Greg tells her she doesn't have a leg to stand on and will probably face criminal charges for trying to buy a baby. Kay calls her attorney who confirms this. As this was taking place some people from the Senior Citizen's Group were moving in. Kay had given them the house (unofficially at this point) as she planned to move to Europe with Phillip. But when she finds she can't take the baby she throws them all out and tells them to blame Snapper and Greg. 

Greg represents Jill in her paternity suit against the Chancellor estate shortly after. He might have cross examined Kay on the witness stand if she testified. He may have been Jill's lawyer in the property settlement suit in 1975 as well, not sure.

Other than that I don't think either character had much to do with her. Maybe they shared some scenes, but it seems none of any real signifigance. I assume Kay might have visited the Foster home with Greg or Snapper there.

Not sure about the plastic surgery storyline or episode

Liz and Bill re-married in 1976 after Phillip had died. I am pretty sure Kay was so upset at losing Bill to Liz that she sent a present but did not attend. Though I do believe Jen and Stu were there.

Edited by will81

• Members

Great clip.  Yeah her facial expressions were like Brenda's. LOL.

I've studied that form of dance for many years and I can see she is a professional dancer. I'm impressed that Y&R hired a real belly dancer for that scene.

There have been times when I've watched various TV shows and movies where the script calls for a scene with a belly dancer -- but it's obvious to me that a model was hired and told to wiggle around.  Or they hire someone who knows some dance forms but knows nothing about belly dance.

So I'm impressed that Y&R hired a real belly dancer.  She was on Y&R in 1983?  Wow. She is still dancing .... here is the same dancer 35 years later -- in November 2018:

• Members

Allen Fawcett in a SOD interview in 1981 while he was playing Kelly on Edge of Night, talked about landing a holding contract on Y&R in 1980.

It was for 10 weeks as they waited to see if 'a certain actor' would leave the show. When that actor decided to stay Allen auditioned for and got the role of Kelly on EON.

This would have been in 1980. Allen was about 26 at that time but looked younger.

Any guesses as to who he would be replacing? I'm thinking Doug Davidson?

Allen Fawcett Appearing On 'Edge of Night' : News Photo

3460497865550035619.jpg

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

I think that's a good guess (Doug Davidson).   Wasn't Doug Davidson recurring (no contract) from 1978 to early 1980?   Then when the show went to an hour, he was signed to a long-term contract and the rest of the Williams family were added in quick succession.   I'd imagine that Bill Bell had a "back-up plan" for the Paul character, if  Davidson's initial contract negotiations didn't work out, as the Williams family would've been dead-on-arrival without a viable Paul.  

Yeah, I believe Kay reluctantly sent some flowers, but didn't attend.  Stuart and Jennifer swept in and gave the Fosters an all-expenses paid honeymoon to Arizona or Hawaii or somewhere.  

• Members

All of this name talk reminds me that when I first started watching the show in '99 everyone referred to Victoria as "Vicki" and Nick was just that, "Nick". It wasn't until the Victoria recast that everyone started referring to her as Victoria and almost everyone started calling Nick "Nicholas". Now Nick alternates pretty regularly between the two but Victoria will seemingly never be Vicki again.

• Members

Re DD

Maybe when he was approached to go on contract, word got out that a whole family was planned for Paul and he was advised to hold out for more money as his advisors realized he was of more value to the show.

Kay Alden admitted they were scrambling when the show expanded and perhaps  they thought 'OK let's give Paul a family' without thinking that Doug might be savvy re contract negotiations...

• Members

Oh ok thanks for the correction, so i guess they probably never shared scenes, does anyone remember Jennifer's funeral episode in 1977, i did hear brock was sort apart of it for support with leslie.

Brock seemed to have Maybe tried with all the Brooks girls i wonder why there was never a triangle or much significant crossover since he actually had scene with them more then kay did but nothing came of it.

• Members

That's my feeling, Paul Raven.  In late 1979, Bill Bell basically had a young recurring character (Doug Davidson's Paul) who had plenty of charisma, plenty of other career opportunities, and had no contract and no motivation to stay with the show.  Meanwhile, Bell was sitting at his IBM Selectric typewriter frantically writing backstory and future storyline projections for the character's mother, father, older brother, and younger sister, all of whom would suddenly hit the airwaves in February of 1980, along with a greatly expanded storyline for the central character himself (Paul).   Bill Bell and John Conboy just about HAD to have an Alternate Paul lined-up in case Doug Davidson suddenly got a film offer or a featured role in a nighttime show, or a contract with General Hospital.