Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I've been trying to find that too. Unfortunately many of the articles I have found state Kay became a co-head writer in 1988???? 

Actually I just found an article with Jack Smith from 1988 stating he and Kay are co-head writers, no mention of Bill Bell at all. I know they became associate head writers, maybe the terminology is confused. He mentions this on the second page

Please register in order to view this content

Edited by will81

• Members

Great article @will81 ! What a cushy set-up Jack Smith had in Hawaii. Yes, it seems like "head writer" can mean different things at different times.

What I'm wondering is... when did Kay Alden start taking over "head duties" from Bill Bell?  I've read various references (can't locate them now) that there was a gradual hand-off later in '97 and by some point in '98 Bill had officially stepped down.

I just read all the daily recaps for 1997, and the first half of the year is soooo slow and boring. Things start to pick up in the second half, which I imagine is due to Kay's contributions.

• Members

Be that as it may, the last episode with William J. Bell as a head writer in the closing credits is dated July 3rd, 1998 (#6412). In the following episode's credits (July 6th, 1998 — #6413), he's not anymore in the writers' list...

July 3rd, 1998 (#6412) :

July 6th, 1998 (#6413) :

• Members

The first articles I could find were from May 1998. Since his last credit was July and they used to write around 7 weeks ahead of episodes airing, the announcement seems to have been made around the week he stopped writing for the show. This article is from the New York Daily News May 22, 1998

Yeah I have articles listing Kay Alden as head writer as far back as 1980. I have to wonder if that was when she became an associate head writer

As for her taking over in 1997. I have been searching far and wide, but there doesn't seem to have been any official announcement. At least not one I can find. I do wonder if the press didn't even know it had happened until later. The first mention I could find of Kay having become a co-head writer in 1997, was from an article from I think 1998. Though I seem to have lost that too.

Edited by will81