• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Glad you enjoyed it!

As you know I have been collecting soap articles/downloads for years and as I go through various files I'll post stuff that I hope others are interested in.

Here's another glimpse into early Y&R (love the Snooper reference from Lorie)

#181 Monday 24th December, 1973 (Tape date: Thursday 6th December)

The show opens in the upstairs hallway, as Chris comes from her room to Leslie’s room and the door is slightly ajar.  Chris looks in on Lorie and happily reflects on having her older sister home again.  Chris tells Lorie how much it means to her to have Lorie there for her wedding.  Chris tells Lorie that she’ll be meeting her future brother-in-law tonight.  Lorie inquires after “Snooper” – Chris smiles and corrects her to “Snapper”.  Lorie wonders why Chris isn’t wearing her engagement ring.  Chris touches on how Snapper is already working all sorts of hours at his outside job in addition to his work at the hospital.

Snapper and Stuart talk in the Brooks living room.  Stuart asks Snapper where he works and what time he’s due at work tomorrow morning.  Stuart offers to give Snapper and Chris a loan after they’re married but Snapper declines and says they’ll make it.  Chris proudly introduces Snapper to Lorie.  After the niceties, Lorie suggests to Stuart that maybe Snapper and Chris might like some time alone, so they both leave the room.

When Snapper gets home, he’s surprised that Jill is still awake.  She’s made a hot toddy each for them.  They share a tender brother-sister moment as Jill says she’s going to miss him.  Snapper picks up on the fact that Jill is a little troubled.  She says it’s been a kind of an emotional night for her- the fact that Snapper will be getting married, how unsettled she is with her own life, how much she misses Brent.  She said she misses the Christmases they had as a family before their father left them- they didn’t have much but it was a special time.  She reminds Snapper how much he idolized his father and how they would pick out the perfect tree together.  She wonders if their father will come home for Christmas, yet they don’t know if he’s dead or alive.  Jill observes how lucky people are to have their parents and how often they don’t stop to count their blessings.

Leslie and Lorie catch up with each other in their bedroom.  Lorie’s been away for four years.  Lorie eventually inquires into Leslie’s personal life and asks about there being any man.  Leslie keeps quiet about Brad.  Lorie says relates Leslie’s lack of men to spending all her time at the piano.  They eventually talk about Snapper and Chris.  Lorie says she likes Snapper, but thinks that Chris doesn’t realise that struggling without money is not as glamorous as it sounds.

Liz comes out into the Foster living room and sees Snapper apparently asleep on the couch and says “I’m going to miss you, boy”.  She said she’d been waiting for him to come upstairs – he said he was about here but was just lying here thinking about weddings, apartments, etc.  Liz is mindful of the fact that he hasn’t given Chris an engagement ring.  Snapper says he’ll give one to her one day, but right now it doesn’t matter to Chris.  Liz says she has a ring which she never uses but would be mighty proud if he gave it to Chris.  Snapper accepts the ring from her.  They go upstairs together. (Fade to black)

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

I honestly don't remember much about Brent, or who played him.  Jill had some "haphazard hit and miss" stories until she went to work for the Chancellors.  If I remember right (and gosh I was a little kid back then and shouldn't have been watching), it seems like Jill wandered briefly into Gwen Sherman's orbit (prostitution and nude modeling), but Snapper bailed her out of all that.  

• Members

I wonder what he had intended as well. Maybe Kurt was suppose to be a much darker character? McCloskey was a competent actor in the past but he didn’t seem to fit in at all on Y&R. I wonder if Bell & Co were just lost on how on to write an interesting Ashley story at a time when a subpar actress was in the role and already had one pairing already DOA.

• Members

Yeah reading the 74 synopsis it seems Gwen and Jill had met before. From putting the bits together, Jill met Gwen at the salon. Gwen at that point worked at a brothel 'on the edge of town' she told Jill about her fabulous job but left out some pertinent details. Jill wanted in until she went to visit Gwen 'at work' and realised it was a brothel. 

There was another brief story in 76 where Jill went to work at a beauty parlour that was a brothel and Snapper realised and pulled her out of it. 

• Members

I've looked through my notes, etc. and I can't find a single image of the Y&R bible. I have images/notes of the following bibles: LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDORED THING, ANOTHER WORLD, ALL MY CHILDREN, DAYS OF OUR LIVES, RAGS (THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL), and several unaired soaps in the collection. My guess is that they did a verbal pitch and then churned out the first five scripts for Y&R (those scripts encompass one day in Genoa City). 

Here's all I have from the original scraps of paper which lay out the foundations of Y&R:

- The show was meant to progress two years in the first week (eat that, Ron!)

- The original locale for the show was meant to be Chicago

- Phillip was the husband of Alison, a "young" mother of 41. (Note: Written next to Alison's character description is "unless Bette Davis is available..."). In this iteration, Phillip and Alison had been married for ten years. He died of a heart attack two years ago (the first week of the show) - although he was healthy - and established a trust for (Liz? - illegible!) and daughters. (Note: Alison became split into Jennifer Brooks and Kay Chancellor.)

- Liz (19, young, heartful.) Since her father's death two years ago, Liz has been in Europe for two years at school - girl very (def... - illegible) at her father. (Note: This iteration of Liz seems to have become Jill & Sally)

- Jan (23, more bland, not attractive but Laura-type.) (Note: She appears to have become Chris.)

- Brock Camden (25, intern. Dates Alison, has an eye for Jan.) (Note: Brock would become Snapper with the name "Brock" being recycled.)

- Brad Camden (16, student. Younger brother of Brock.)

- Marcello (Around 38, wants to marry Alison.) (Note in margin: Brother who left country because of draft.)

- Junior Camden (Note: Undefined. Nothing written about him.)

(The Camden brothers seem to have been morphed into the Brooks sisters & Greg and Snapper Foster.)

- Liz becomes pregnant and doesn't know whose baby it is. Goes to Brock for help. "You do this and I will marry you."

- Liz drinks too much at times. A girl in search of a father image. Little relationship between mother and daughter in past two years. 

- Phillip will one day marry Jan, but he'll forever be vulnerable to Liz.

- Liz wants only what that appears out of reach...

Proposed Titles for The Young and the Restless (circa 1972):

- YOU’RE ONLY YOUNG ONCE

- THE INNOCENT YEARS

- DESTINY

- UNTAMED

- BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE

- THE BEAUFITUL PEOPLE

- JET SET

- THE SWEET AND TRAGIC YEARS

- TO LOVE EACH DAY

- MAY WE LOVE EACH DAY

- THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL

- THE YOUNG AND THE INNOCENT

- THE WORLD WE LIVE IN (shaded with a black pencil for prominence)

- WHERE LIES OUR DESTINY

- THE INNOCENT YEARS

Episodes 1-5 are entitled: “YOUNG AND RESTLESS YEARS”

EPISODE 1

Title on the cover of Episode #1:

“YOUNG AND RESTLESS YEARS”

Original line

SALLY: (MORE TO HERSELF)How awful to be stuck in a place like Genoa

City…during our young and restless years.

THEME UP AS WE DISSOLVE TO OPENING BILLBOARD…

The following was edited by Bill Bell in red pen.

SALLY: (MORE TO HERSELF) Kind of a drag, isn’t it. Stuck in a place like

Genoa City. (BEAT) God, I feel so restless.

THEME UP AS WE DISSOLVE TO OPENING BILLBOARD…

COMMERCIAL

“PIERRE’S” original name was “FRENCHY”

EPISODE 2

“JILL” appears in Episode #2

Episodes 1-5 encompass the same day.

From Episode 6 until now all scripts are entitled “THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS”

EPISODE 7

The Foster home (kitchen/living room) are referred to as the Larson

kitchen/living room. Chris calls Liz “Mrs. Larson.”

Greg comes home to visit in this episode.

EPISODE 8

The Larson’s are back to being the Fosters’.

Found outline for Episode 11:

EPISODE #11 - TAPE DATE: MONDAY, MARCH 26 - AIR DATE: APRIL 9, 1973

KAY LENARD - OUTLINE

• Members

Looking closely  at the Chancellor set makes you can see that over the years much of the decor/furniture was changed. Yet it was very subtle. The curtains for instance changed to a burgundy velvet set .I wonder when and why those changes were made.

SPW did a story on that set in the 90's and they stated that only one or two pieces were part of the original set.

I think the wing chairs in front of the fireplace survived.

Love Jill fondling the furniture like she was in the palace at Versailles and settling into that rather hard chair as though it was super plush.