Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Wow thanks for sharing that. I wonder if the character introductions were still the same when it aired. Jill in the second ep, Greg in the 7th.

Pierre was Frenchy??? Okay

What a kick if they had gotten Bette Davis, haha. Imagine if Bette Davis and Jeanne Cooper were ever in the same show. I would die

Looking at all those titles I am glad they chose The Young and the Restless, just flows more

I do think Y&R did have a bible, because in one of the posted interviews with Bill Bell he mentions being really proud of the bible he created for it. He went deep into the characters background up to the moment before they first appear on screen. 

@Taoboi That whole 1974 episode has been shared on here before. Here is @YRfan23 70's playlist (Hopefully it is okay to share this)

Edited by will81

• Members

I think the "Liz Prototype", in addition to blossoming into both Jill Foster and Sally McGuire, also has certain character traits of Lorie Brooks and Brock Reynolds inside her.  

The "years in Europe" is indicative of both Lorie and Brock, who had attended college in Paris.   Like the "Liz prototype", Lorie was filled was "father issues", especially when learning that Stuart was not her biological dad, much as Jill was drawn to the older, more mature Phillip Chancellor, since her own father had been absent from the household for so long. 

The "little relationship between mother and daughter the past two years" is indicative of Lorie's tormented relationship with Jennifer Brooks upon the revelation that Jennifer hadn't been faithful to Stuart, and also defined Brock Reynolds' estrangement from Kay Chancellor following the death of Gary Reynolds.  (Kay felt that Brock had always shared a special relationship with Gary Reynolds and was somewhat jealous, while Brock felt that Gary had loved him and Kay hadn't.)  

I really love the evolution of the title.   You can see exactly where Bill Bell's mind was going there.   He had a few traditional "soapy" titles that had come from his years of working with Irna Phillips:  "Where Lies Our Destiny", "To Love Each Day", "The World We Live In".   But he fundamentally knew that his show was going to be about a group of young people, living in a world of confusion, and finding themselves.   So he started with that more superficial "The Bad and the Beautiful" to describe his young characters.   Then he decided he'd rather concentrate on their "innocence" rather than their bravado, and he crafted "The Innocent Years" as his title.  Then he and Lee Phillip came to the realization that young people in the early 1970s weren't really that "innocent" anymore because of the Vietnam War, the protests, and so forth.  So he started switching switching to "The Young and the Innocent", then began realizing that he needed to ditch the word Innocent entirely, and find a better adjective that captured the mood of the early 1970s, which led him to "Young and RESTLESS Years", and as he reflected upon it further, he decided that YEARS needed to go out the window entirely, and he switched finally to "The Young and the Restless", a title that was the perfect compromise between "The Bad and the Beautiful" and "The Innocent Years".  For a fan of the early years of the show, it's really fascinating stuff to recreate his thought process as he worked on those initial scripts.   

• Members

1998 Daytime Emmy Awards. THE STREAK IS OVER ERIC BRAEDEN!!! If Eric was there I'm sure either Jeanne or Jess would have said that 

Please register in order to view this content

10 years later Jeanne's streak would be over.

• Members

About the Y&R bible, here's what Bill Bell reveals of its existence during his discussion about the initial meeting with executives from Screen Gems and CBS on a trip to New York:

" I passed out the copies of the book, and as I was doing it I realized one thing --- that none of them were going to understand this.   They’ll understand a nighttime show that has a beginning, a middle, and an end.   But here we are --- we have a 62-page book.   Maybe it was 72 pages.  But the first third of it told about what happens before the show even begins.   The second quarter established characters and really defined the characters.    And we were so diversified; it was just a fabulous group of characters.  And then the final part, which was about 25 pages, told what the story would be for the next two years.  Or maybe it was 30 pages.   About 30.  Covered two years of story.   Well, I knew by watching them read it, not an expression on anyone’s face, they didn’t know what the hell they were reading.   So then it was all over, and one by one, they closed their books, and they looked around at others.   They were looking around at others, and then someone else would close their book.  Everyone looking at the other for some look or expression, but there were no expressions …. They just don’t understand how you take these few pages and make two years out of it.”   

• Members

There are definitely some copies of "The Innocent Years" bible floating around somewhere, based on what Bill Bell said in his interview with the Archive of American Television.

Wish someone could find one!   I'd assume the Bell family has one, unless they've donated it to a university or something.  

I really appreciate the notes posted above about the various working titles and the character prototypes!    

• Members

ugh...most of my 1991 videos are now getting blocked!

Please register in order to view this content

It's because of the intro music, I'm in the process of trying to trim out the openings so everyone can see the videos...I'm so sorry you guys! 

• Members

So very strange!  Agnes' archives I went to had the As The Earth Turns bible, but she's listed as co-creator with Irna and Ted Corday, so that makes sense.  (it also had two radio "outlines" as they called them--one for Dr Joyce Jones, which was an Irna show Agnes did write for and was at a time that Agnes could have done the actual initial creation--and...  Ma Perkins.  Which...  Maybe she or someone involved in the archives had a copy in and just threw it in there?  Talk about random!)

Also--re Bell and Nixon.  Bell co-created Another World.  We know that Irna only wrote it briefly, the implication being her plan to go full out melodrama for it didn't suit her actual style.  And then the show floundered under Lipton (there may have been another writer before him) and then Agnes Nixon came on in... 1966 I think.  If Bell was co-creator, why didn't he go to that show?  Instead, in 1966 he went to Days of Our Lives, which he was not, as far as we know, a creator of...

Edited by EricMontreal22