Y&R: Old Articles

• Replies 13.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

For the viewers that were watching at the time, what was the overall consensus on Brad Carlton going from pool boy, to marrying not one but both Abbott daughters and also becoming a powerful executive?

Was it a natural progression? Was Brad a popular character?  By the time I started watching, Brad was sleeping with Sharon, had some crazy Jewish storyline, and then shortly after was killed off which i thought was strange for such a long running character.

Also how did Traci feel about Ashley marrying her ex and father of her child?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Antoyne

• Members

From my POV, Brad was just a hunk. Every story was seen from Ashley or Nikki’s perspective. He had no personality by the early 00s IMHO. 

The only story they told from his perspective was his affair with Olivia. And no, that was not well received although I kinda liked it. 

Brad’s previous marriage to Traci was conveniently glossed over all the time. Which is a shame. When Colleen came back it caused some conflict but never like “Oh I’m worried my sister and my husband may rekindle their feelings”. 

• Members

I always felt he was a gold digger (he was already married to Traci when I started watching) but upon watching 80s stuff lately now I'm not so sure about that. There's definitely no scenes where he's laughing behind her back or anything, but he also doesn't seem that in love with her, IMO, so it's more ambiguous (hell, he's making googly eyes at Ashley in their 1991 wedding that was just shown). He was kind of flirting/friends with Jill when they both lived in the house, then he gets a sales position at Jabot, and Traci busts ass to help him make sales and get a promotion, and John starts to really respect him and loves him like a son. Later, when his ex-wife Lisa captures him in the cage, we also find out he was her gardner too, which is another point for him being a gold digger.

The show definitely played the beat of "she can't believe someone as good looking as him likes HER" and even other people, especially Lauren, comment on that. Even on their honeymoon (seen on the German episodes), some good looking girls flirt with Brad on the beach and are shocked when Traci walks up and that's his wife.

Unpopular opinion here - I never found him that hot or good looking really. In virtually every episode I've watched someone is always saying that he's sooooo hot. It's almost as bad as it was with all the characters saying "Cricket, you're even more beautiful than the last time I saw you."

I think his relationship with Ashley hurt Traci because she was always the less beautiful sister, and Brad was this handsome guy that loved her and that was special, so to see her sister get that guy (the father of her only child and probably the love of her life) was another thing where her sister beat her. Then again, we do see Danny who's supposed to be this big rockstar who also has genuine feelings for Traci although the feeling is more he loves her as a person than he is sexually attracted to her.

Another unpopular opinion - I didn't mind him being killed. That was a time when a lot of soaps were killing off vets to save money. It was terrible. I don't support that at all, but I must say, if they had to kill off a vet at that point, that was the right choice and worked pretty well on all levels:

-He was not that good of an actor compared to the other vets.

-Had just come off the reliquary storyline which was the worst the show had ever done.

-Had been with every woman in town, not much interesting story left to play, IMO.

-They made him die a hero, which made him more likable in the end.

-The actor didn't suffer, he got a great role on B&B where he gets to be the alpha male and play some comedy which he seems to prefer, plus the show needed a jolt of energy. So it all worked out perfectly.

• Members

I did like where Brad admitted Traci was the one to get away and that he blew it just before he died..and he admitted it to Traci..who seemed happy and content with her life by than.

Speaking of which, I loved when Traci put her finger in Victor's face when he wouldn't listen to her about Ashley's fragile state.  I liked as adults, Traci seemed to become more confident while Ashley became less so.