Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Okay, so I’ve seen it already then. Those P&G folks are hellbound for putting us through all this confusion.

That was hella rude.

So young back then, I didn’t realize that those promos heralding a new soap meant the demise of another. In my defense, I wasn’t up on the soap production news back then. I only occasionally picked up a copy of TV Guide (probably where I found out the news about Capitol being cancelled the day it went off the air). 

• Members

Its other people stealing other peoples video and reposting them as theirs. That's why we have so many duplicates. 

As for CBS...I still am upset they gave BB ATWT timeslot. It totally ruined the ratings for ATWT and GL till the end of the 80s.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

true enough —  i always forget about that when i discuss the factors that led to atwt’s demise. 

but, i was told  (by a  cbs programming exec) that the bell’s insisted that b&b run after y&r. and given the success of y&r, it’s not hard to understand why cbs agreed. 

Edited by wonderwoman1951

• Members

Yeah, I figured that once Y&R made that push to #1 in the ratings, they could effectively call the shots.

The people who run CBS daytime (and daytime in general) were never really good at long-term thinking. They were really about maximizing profits as heavily as possible in the near term. 

• Members

ABC and NBC pounced with BB being AMC and Days competition. OLTL was also helped by AMC strong lead in.

ABC and Days dIdnt look back. They dominated most of 1988 and 1989. ATWT was able to hit #4 two times in 1989 with a James return.

Edited by Soapsuds

• Members

I used to point things out like this on here years and years ago.  Much to the hate of the B&B fans.  If Daytime had been run like Primetime, B&B would have had its time slot moved or it would have been cancelled very very quickly the way it was handed great lead-ins and LOST that lead-in for the rest of the lineup.  The weird thing is, I remember articles talking about B&B beating Capitol or beating the performance that had been there prior.  I never understood it.  It was a bunch of Bill Bell fans in the media pumping up a show (B&B) that had NOT performed well and there was NO hiding it if you had half a brain.  There was NO way to compared B&B to Capitol because to my knowledge, it NEVER HELD the same timeslot Capitol.  And for the time it was put in - B&B did NOT perform the way World Turns did.  It was such garbage.  

@DramatistDreamer Yeah, this clip reminded me....I knew it, but had forgotten.  Capitol was treated so badly and I think is one of the most underrated shows given the amount of talent they had.  I had forgotten they trolled B&B so badly at the end.  I still miss Capitol to this day.  Out of any cancelled show I truly believe had it held on, given the rise and fight in politics, that people would have watched it, had Capitol hit on the right topics at the right time and gone that route.  What an opportunity it would have been to teach people something.