As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I know that Marland had another show in the hoppper, one more "urban" and "darker" then ATWT...I think that he may have just moved into a different phase in his writing and wanted to go there. I think that when the show wasn't picked up he transferred that feel to ATWT, which didn't fit the show.

Who needs a reason??? : )

This is more ATWT to me then Marland's run. It was warm and goofy but grounded.  I think SBH was working Marland during his first year or two and the combination of the two...his discipline, and her warmth and ability to create warm connections between between worked. I think Marland was a great writer but a bit too disciplined that his dialouge and interactions to me, never came off as "real" as writers like Long and Curlee and SGH.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The awful Supreme Court decision released this morning reminds me of the first time a decision about reproduction was made on the soap operas that I can remember.

Dr. Dan Stewart had married Dr. Susan Burke Stewart, who was extremely ambitious.   She made an attempt to get Dan to move from the revered Memorial Hospital to practice at City (or maybe Community) Hospital (where her father, Dr. Burke, was the chief of staff).    She thought that she and Dan would be writing their own tickets to lucrative medical practices because of her family connections.    Dan, however, refused to leave Memorial (after much consideration and a lot of airtime discussion.

Then, Susan discovered that she was expecting Dan's child.   She was very unhappy about this.   She was wanting children someday, but not at this point when she was building her own medical practice that she did not want to be interrupted by the birth of care of an infant.

Dan, however, was very happy that the marriage had been blessed with conception of a fetus.   I don't remember, but I can imagine that his step-mother (who was actually his birth mother) Ellen and his father David were overjoyed.    

Susan, however, was determined that nothing was going to disrupt her plans to become a successful physician.   Her solution was to stand on a chair and to jump off it.    This resulted in the loss of the fetus.

I had not watched Another World when Pat had an actual abortion.    This was the first time that this issue (reproduction) had been presented on a show that I was able to watch.

I wish I knew who was playing Susan at the time.  I know that it was not Jada Rowland.    It could have been after she left and Marie Masters was playing Susan; however, I doubt it.   It was probably one of the earlier actresses who played Susan (Connie Scott, Diana Walker, or Leslie Perkins).

• Members

The infamous Carolyn Crawford Murder mystery. One of Marland's rare missteps. It seemed to break most of his own writing rules, especially the one about focusing too much on characters who had no connection to the main canvas.  I know the story was intended as an homage to the Hitchcock film "Suspicion", but it went on too long (18 months) and used too many ancillary characters. And it involved the murder of someone we didn't care about.  If Marland had stuck with his original end to the story (that Daryl DID kill Carolyn) then perhaps it would have been worth it. But it ended with a fizzle and, when Daryl and Frannie were both written off a month later, it made the story seem even more of a waste. 

Edited by MarlandFan

• Members

How will the Daytime Emmy awards honor Kathryn Hays and Lisa Brown? Will it be more than just their photos flashing by on an In Memoriam segment? They owe these ladies more than that.

Kim Hughes was likely the last character ever created by Irna Phillips, who built the foundation on which the daytime drama stands and there ought to  be some recognition of that. The great shame of the daytime emmys is never having awarded Hays an Emmy during her lifetime— not eve a lifetime achievement award, which could have been done even in the years after the show was canceled while she would have been alive to receive it. Now it’s really too late. Lisa Brown created two iconic daytime drama characters and she left without any official acknowledgment from the daytime emmys. Shame on these folks.