As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

Interesting to see that episode one year into the show's run.

The John Hughes story was front and center here but that character never was prominent and seemingly forgotten.

He did come to Oakdale for a short time. If John had have been used more some Hughes cousins could have been brought in at some point.

So Chris and Nancy thought it best that the children thought their uncle was dead rather than know the shameful truth that he was a criminal. And now Chris is lying to Nancy about seeing him....I'm sure Mrs Hughes went on blast when the truth came out.

As for lovers Jim and Edie-they were not even allowed a peck on the cheek.

Interesting that we went from evening in the first scene to late afternoon/evening after the ad break. Soaps hardly ever move to a new day in the same episode.

Les Damon,Santos Ortega and Don McLaughlin had all done heaps of radio soaps in the 40's and had probably. crossed paths on many occasions.

I think Damon was wearing a toupee as I have seen pictures of him balding from the 40's.

Have to hand it to the actors remembering their lines in a live 7 minute scene.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Never understood why they didn't bring in the Hughes cousin's and their children.   I think it would have been good to have a farm girl vixen type Carly type come to Oakdale and live with Chris and Nancy so she can deal with another Lisa type.

• Members

Thanks. I was curious as I wondered if Wally might have been part of  Irna's plan to refresh/purify ATWT, if this is around the time Penny's Vietnamese daughter was there, Tom and Carol trying to live off the land, etc.

• Members

I don't know how far they went with Tom and Carols'ecology' story as there are no synopses available for that time.

Amy Hughes came on in 73 also and it seemed that her grandparents coincidentally lived in Oakdale or nearby. Not sure how that story was resolved.

Wally was the natural father of Peter Burton, a friend of Tom and Carol. It seems they reunited and left Oakdale.

There was a writers' strike of around 3 months in mid 73 so that would have derailed some of Irna's plans. I think she returned for a short time after but then was fired.