As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

People could ask Bernsen. It just may be a matter of preference for him. Daytime was a huge commitment and ATWT was on the East Coast when most primetime was located on the West Coast. Perhaps Bernsen wanted the freedom to pursue other projects? Many other cast regulars left for that reason.

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I suppose Corbin was LA born and bred and moving to NY and getting some soap work was seen as training/waiting for the big break-a primetime series.

Jeanne worked in primetime and only accepted Y&R because work had dried up for a woman her age.

She may have defended soaps but I'm sure she was still supportive of Corbin doing other stuff than being locked into soaps at a young age.

• Members

I would be interested in hearing about his early years in soaps and whether he felt he had to make a decision between daytime and the pursuit of prime time. In the 80s, I remember ATWT lost a number of actors in a brief time span when many left to pursue primetime and films.

With the theater (which a number of older actors seemed to elect to do), they could go back and forth since it was NYC but a slew of them left between ‘82-88.

Maybe there’s an interview on YouTube but if not, someone should really interview Corbin about this.

When I mean “remember”, I really mean, from what I saw in later years watching classic episodes that aired while the show was still on the air.

• Members

Interesting time at ATWT..the Dobson's are gone and Marland hadn't arrived. You can tell the writers are trying to get back a "family feeling" and an ensemble. The very start of Kim and Bob reuniting...(was Kim secretly this singer they are talking about.) Interesting seeing boring Lyla having some fire and not liking Betsy...Craig was the ultimate Momma's boy bad or good, which is what they forgot when they recast him during Gautman, and here he is starting his redemption arc..Amazing how much BVF looks and sounds like Fulton but just can't pull it off..and mmmm.Jay...I was crushing hard on him in high school. Gunnar is a bore...weird seeing Babs with no shades of grey, they are trying hard to get a storyline for Annie and Jeff but they will be written out soon. 

• Members

In retrospect, I appreciate how Doug Marland made Barbara less of a victim and a doormat WITHOUT turning her into a total loon (like Goutman and Sheffer did).

Robert Soderberg, who, with Edith Sommer, head-wrote ATWT for much of the '70's, is listed as Story Consultant in the credits for the 4/2 episode.  I wonder if P&G was considering having him resume HW'ing duties.  (And it looks like Ralph Ellis & Eugenie Hunt were back with the show as well.  If only Soderberg, the Hunts and the DiZenzos had all stayed on when Marland took over.  That would have been one amazing writing staff.)

Breck Jamison still looks pretty good (in his most recent photos) but I could do without the goatee, lol.

Edited by Khan