As The World Turns Discussion Thread

• Members

I agree and had been saying that they should have short storyline arcs with these characters coming into town on occasion, the way Penny and David once went back and forth.

It wouldn't have cost that much but it would have required organization, and the show became a mess in the last decade or so. 

• Replies 15.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I know about her being written off in the mid 70's, but not the 60's.

Could you please elaborate?

Being dropped in the 70's was I think it was at the time that Dan , Susan etc were written off. Annie/Dee were still young teens.So David was at the hospital and it was assumed Ellen was at home with the girls.

Then when the show expanded and the girls were aged, Ellen returned. Wonder how Pat felt about being dropped? Obviously, she rolled with it and happily returned.

• Members

Thanks to the SORAS-ing of Dan, Ellen was a great-grandmother(!) by the early 1980s. As such, the character was considered unexciting for youth-oriented storylines. Also in the early 1980s, Henderson Forsythe, who played her husband David, was often away doing movies and plays for extended periods of time. Without a husband on the canvas, Ellen was placed on the back-burner. 

Edited by MarlandFan

• Members

Once again, I have to hand it to Doug Marland (and to Laurie Caso): when David Stewart died, in 1991, they brought back Annie, Betsy and Dee for his funeral (even if Betsy was played by someone who hadn't played the role before).  I doubt Chris Goutman would have cared enough had he been EP.

• Members

They were also going to recast Emily if Melanie Smith hadn't been able to return (although in another world, that recast might have been better than the one we got a year later).

Considering that David hadn't been a major character in at least a decade, and Marland's ATWT was often restrained emotionally aside  from select characters, I thought they did a good job paying tribute to him. A world away from  the  dubious sendoffs for characters like Hal or Nancy. I think the part I remember most was a letter from  Hank Elliot, talking about how David had cared for AIDS patients and done AIDS research long before  it was fashionable to do so. One of the few times you really felt that bite and anger in daytime about just how horribly dying gay men were treated in the '80s.