Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Did the show having any black writers or people of color on the show at that time? Not that they should be put into a box and only write for the black characters, but at least someone could have run the ideas by them.  I remember when Nancy Hughes was trying to teach a girl to read by using rap music. It made good use of history as she was a teacher and I know what they were trying to do..but even to my white college boy mentality it was kind of..squirmy...(why was it black character the one to not be able to read...there was no push and pull between Nancy and the character, the teen treated Nancy like everyone else on the show did at the time...) It would have been interesting to see Nancy deal with her own white privilege before there was even a term for it.

• Members

While skimming through some research material, I decided to use my university access to various databases for something useful. Soap Operas, haha

I came across this and think it might be worth reading. It is a long dissertation done on As the World Turns which covers the years 1956 - 1978. I have only skimmed through, but it discusses the creation of the show, the various actors, stories, production and has interviews with producers and cast members. The woman who wrote this seemed to have unprecendented access to various materials and people from the show. 

It is a very, very long read, but hopefully there is something here you can enjoy and information you might like. 

out.pdf

• Members

Thank you, will do

So I have settled on uploading to mega. Here is the link, it is only 9MB and is a pdf. I did some screenshots for those who want to try before you buy see below. Let me know if there are any issues with the link

https://mega.nz/file/4M8SGKCS#OXwtNNhY8zWkuGksd4qB2ikpvStWr-pm-CcXna2wFYU

The whole thing is around 200 pages long, so enjoy. Hopefully it was worth reading

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

Nope, not me. As a square white girl---I'd have to look that up in an urban dictionary.

Re: LIz....I could understand if she had been exasperated with Marland writing her as the heavy, while Lily made her jump through hoops for her love after discovering the down-to-earth, poor and noble Snyders. Admittedly, I didn't listen to her comments, but the almost obsessive way Marland wrote the town of Oakdale worshipping Lily, might have grated Liz to no end. Not to mention some others.

• Members

Brief clips from an episode...and look, @Mitchit features your two favorite character groups of this era. 

I wonder if the actors ever got tired of some of these songs. I think that is the second or third time I've heard that song.

Edited by DRW50