Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Been rewatching early Marland-era episodes of ATWT.  

Liz Hubbard’s claim that Marland was only interested in writing for the younger actors is simply wrong.  Marland consistently kept the veterans front burner. 

With all the men in Lucinda's personal and professional orbit (Craig, Tonio, Kirk, Dr. John, etc.) Liz was given lots of screentime and all the best scene partners. Wonder if her complaints come from never winning an Emmy for Lucinda, while her younger co-stars regularly did (Martha, John Wesley Shipp, Julianne Moore, etc.).

Liz doesn't know how good she had it...

Edited by gimmetoo

• Members

Gregg Marx was very candid in admitting that, looking back, he didn't realize how good he had it back in those days.

Did Hubbard make her claim during the ATWT livestream or during The Doctors livestream?

Yeah, La Hubbard got a ton of meaty stories during Marland's tenure, the only thing I could possibly think of is that perhaps she wanted to be a heroine instead of a villain but usually, it was the vixens, villains and 'bad gals' who had the most fun. Most characters on today's soaps would likely love to have someone write half as nuanced a character as she got to play.

• Members

Marland was involved with firing Liz from The Doctors, IIRC, so there's some baggage which likely overshadows her memories of those years.

I do think Liz had very exacting standards for Lucinda. For instance, when they had the story of Lucinda going to therapy (which I think Hubbard had asked for) and they had the flashbacks of Hubbard as Lucinda's mother, she was unhappy about choices like bottles of beer laying around to show her mother was a drunk, as she thought this was cheap and so on. 

I do wonder if she sometimes felt like Lucinda was a plot device, rather than a character. As much as Marland always took care to give her some lovely moments (especially when Lucinda lost Walsh Enterprises), I can see her point. 

These standards are one of the reasons I'm half-surprised she stayed through the show's last decade, but I guess by that point the financial compensation was too important to give up.

• Members

I haven’t seen much of The Doctors.  But was Althea more rounded?  I know

So much of Lucinda involved complicated relationships with her kids, both Sierra and Lily.  Yes she had business stories too, and love affairs.  But the meat of her part was tied to her kids.  Maybe that is what she doesn’t like about Marland’s writing for Lucinda.

Althea was totally different from Lucy. Althea was a heroine. Most of her stories centered on her on and off again relationship with Nick. As well her complicated mother/daughter relationship with her spoiled daughter Penny. I think in some ways Althea was more rounded than Lucinda.  On The Doctors Marland didn't give her much to do. Than he wrote Althea off.

• Members

If anything, Lucinda acted as something of a plot device when the character first entered the canvas in 1984. She was Craig's boss and had quickly become Lisa's nemesis, due to her prickly relationship with Whit McColl. It wasn't really until 1985, when Sierra arrived that Lucinda became entangled and somewhat obsessed with her children's lives. That aspect predated Marland, although he continued it. If a plot device could function as a character, (which it really cannot since a plot device is a situation, not a character) it would've functioned like a Nick Castello, James Stenbeck's lackey. Lucinda was an actual character with perceived autonomy. Hubbard may not have liked not being the heroine (Kathryn Hays already had that role) but the implication seemed to be that she was accusing Marland of preferring to write for the younger characters and that's simply not true. Kim, Bob and Susan and John might beg to differ.

I asked about The Doctors' livestream because, I suspect there might have been some contentious carryover from there. Her behavior during that livestream spoke volumes on how she regarded her co-stars and her time there and her relationship with Marland on that show may have had a role in that.

But even when she entered the canvas in '84, she was still a character (if an underutilized one), not a plot device, as characters cannot dramatically he used as such.

Edited by DramatistDreamer