Top Posters In This Topic

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Soapsuds

• P.J.

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Nola Reardon was a character who, herself, lived in a world of fantasy. Old movies and daydreams about a Hollywoodized existence were what kept her going during the rough times. Involving a person like her in a somewhat fantastical plot would work for me more than, for example, having Bert Bauer in a safari hat, searching for extraterrestrial treasure in the jungles of Peru, LOL.

I can enjoy science fiction or fantasy very much when it's presented well in an appropriate setting. I loved the first season of ROSWELL, the first V miniseries from 1983, etc., but trying to suddenly graft one medium into another (sci-fi into soaps, ballet into sci-fi, whatever) usually does not work for me because the results more often than not are awkward failures. For me personally, outside of DARK SHADOWS, which was intended to be a non-traditional series which dealt with the supernatural and fantasy), I cannot think of a single example of a sci-fi or fantasy storyline that has worked well on daytime TV. Indeed, the inclusion of these painfully-awful plots is what made me finally drop several of my once-favorite soaps.

• Members

Reading a soap magazine that was probably having news from late 1974  - they mention that Jennifer's "mystery disease" was diagnosed as MS, after being left vague for a while, and it was suggested that she wouldn't have a long life (I guess this was one of those instances where they changed their mind, at least for a while). They also mention that the story was supposed to have Rick kill John, which would end his horrible treatment of Kim, but viewers suspected where the plot was going and wrote in letters asking the show not to kill John. They instead had him just leave town for a while.

• Members

Is it possible that they were considering bringing Rick back to kill John? I always read that his main story in the early 70s was trying to ruin Bob's life, and once he succeeded in driving a big enough rift between Bob and Jennifer (enough to make Bob sleep with Kim), he left town. I would assume he left around the time Frannie was born onscreen, which I think is 1973 (I forget who was born first out of her and Emily).