March 8-12, 2010

Toups

• Members

OLTL has always been ABC's red headed stepchild.

Don't fret ABC as a network is not doing well. All the attention heaped on NBC because of the Leno fiasco has taken attention away from the fact that ABC has also as a whole dropped the same percentage of 18-49 viewers NBC did and they don't have the excuse of Leno.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Oh I know that. ABC is a hot mess. Their soaps are in the toilet. CBS is struggling with B&B numbers too. I dont count ATWT since it has been cancelled. NBC has a resurgent Days but has drop some lately. I think at some point we will be down to 4 soaps pretty soon if not sooner.

• Members

Let me guess the overreaction to AMC losing a few viewers is based on Greenlee hate or some other agenda because it didn't lose much.

Y&R missed having these gains over sweeps. It remains the only soap whose demos are getting stronger.

GH is back to tying with Days in those demos. As usual GH cannot keep any of the demo gains that occur due to their sweep stunts.

• Members

Thursday, March 11, 2010 Before leaving town, David stops by the cemetery and stands in front of his brother Leo's grave, admitting he's leaving town and Greenlee. JR opens his eyes and finds Marissa and Adam in his room. When he calls out for his son, Marissa explains he was there when JR woke but Opal took him home. Adam assures his son that the family will stay together now. In the chapel Tad imagines Dixie is with him and claims she is the reason JR is still with them. Annie's disgusted when Adam suggests that she go home so that JR doesn't see her fighting with Colby. Lectured by Angie to keep Adam safe, Brooke convinces Adam to take Annie home himself. JR asks Angie about the bone marrow donor and when she claims the donor wants to remain anonymous, JR claims he must find out who they are. Greenlee asks Jack to be David's lawyer but he refuses because he doesn't trust David. She asks him to do this for her but he refuses. Once her police "tail" leaves, Greenlee reunites with David in the cemetery. He apologizes for all the trouble he's caused but she insists on helping him. Later, David hides in the hidden passages at Wildwind and overhears Annie arguing with Adam about her time at the hospital. Meanwhile, Ryan tells Greenlee that if she divorces David, he'll leave her alone. After Damon takes a call on his cellphone from his mother, Liza eyes the number. Warning him there may be a problem with Damon's mother, she calls Tad and asks him to bring Colby to the station house. There, Liza stuns him with the revelation that Damon's mother is Hillary Wilson, the woman he bedded while with Liza years ago. She adds that Damon is, therefore, Tad's son. Thursday, March 11, 2010 Before leaving town, David stops by the cemetery and stands in front of his brother Leo's grave, admitting he's leaving town and Greenlee. JR opens his eyes and finds Marissa and Adam in his room. When he calls out for his son, Marissa explains he was there when JR woke but Opal took him home. Adam assures his son that the family will stay together now. In the chapel Tad imagines Dixie is with him and claims she is the reason JR is still with them. Annie's disgusted when Adam suggests that she go home so that JR doesn't see her fighting with Colby. Lectured by Angie to keep Adam safe, Brooke convinces Adam to take Annie home himself. JR asks Angie about the bone marrow donor and when she claims the donor wants to remain anonymous, JR claims he must find out who they are. Greenlee asks Jack to be David's lawyer but he refuses because he doesn't trust David. She asks him to do this for her but he refuses. Once her police "tail" leaves, Greenlee reunites with David in the cemetery. He apologizes for all the trouble he's caused but she insists on helping him. Later, David hides in the hidden passages at Wildwind and overhears Annie arguing with Adam about her time at the hospital. Meanwhile, Ryan tells Greenlee that if she divorces David, he'll leave her alone. After Damon takes a call on his cellphone from his mother, Liza eyes the number. Warning him there may be a problem with Damon's mother, she calls Tad and asks him to bring Colby to the station house. There, Liza stuns him with the revelation that Damon's mother is Hillary Wilson, the woman he bedded while with Liza years ago. She adds that Damon is, therefore, Tad's son. Thursday, March 11, 2010 Before leaving town, David stops by the cemetery and stands in front of his brother Leo's grave, admitting he's leaving town and Greenlee. JR opens his eyes and finds Marissa and Adam in his room. When he calls out for his son, Marissa explains he was there when JR woke but Opal took him home. Adam assures his son that the family will stay together now. In the chapel Tad imagines Dixie is with him and claims she is the reason JR is still with them. Annie's disgusted when Adam suggests that she go home so that JR doesn't see her fighting with Colby. Lectured by Angie to keep Adam safe, Brooke convinces Adam to take Annie home himself. JR asks Angie about the bone marrow donor and when she claims the donor wants to remain anonymous, JR claims he must find out who they are. Greenlee asks Jack to be David's lawyer but he refuses because he doesn't trust David. She asks him to do this for her but he refuses. Once her police "tail" leaves, Greenlee reunites with David in the cemetery. He apologizes for all the trouble he's caused but she insists on helping him. Later, David hides in the hidden passages at Wildwind and overhears Annie arguing with Adam about her time at the hospital. Meanwhile, Ryan tells Greenlee that if she divorces David, he'll leave her alone. After Damon takes a call on his cellphone from his mother, Liza eyes the number. Warning him there may be a problem with Damon's mother, she calls Tad and asks him to bring Colby to the station house. There, Liza stuns him with the revelation that Damon's mother is Hillary Wilson, the woman he bedded while with Liza years ago. She adds that Damon is, therefore, Tad's son. Before leaving town, David stops by the cemetery and stands in front of his brother Leo's grave, admitting he's leaving town and Greenlee. JR opens his eyes and finds Marissa and Adam in his room. When he calls out for his son, Marissa explains he was there when JR woke but Opal took him home. Adam assures his son that the family will stay together now. In the chapel Tad imagines Dixie is with him and claims she is the reason JR is still with them. Annie's disgusted when Adam suggests that she go home so that JR doesn't see her fighting with Colby. Lectured by Angie to keep Adam safe, Brooke convinces Adam to take Annie home himself. JR asks Angie about the bone marrow donor and when she claims the donor wants to remain anonymous, JR claims he must find out who they are. Greenlee asks Jack to be David's lawyer but he refuses because he doesn't trust David. She asks him to do this for her but he refuses. Once her police "tail" leaves, Greenlee reunites with David in the cemetery. He apologizes for all the trouble he's caused but she insists on helping him. Later, David hides in the hidden passages at Wildwind and overhears Annie arguing with Adam about her time at the hospital. Meanwhile, Ryan tells Greenlee that if she divorces David, he'll leave her alone. After Damon takes a call on his cellphone from his mother, Liza eyes the number. Warning him there may be a problem with Damon's mother, she calls Tad and asks him to bring Colby to the station house. There, Liza stuns him with the revelation that Damon's mother is Hillary Wilson, the woman he bedded while with Liza years ago. She adds that Damon is, therefore, Tad's son.

• Members

Just a little comment about the 1.7s on Thursday, Friday and "lowest numbers." Thursday is the week's lowest or least-watched episode. However, Friday actually drew the second largest audience that week:

OLTL

Monday: 2.0/2,737,000

Tuesday: 1.8/2,312,000

Wednesday: 1.9/2,393,000

Thursday: 1.7/2,270,000

Friday: 1.7/2,417,000

Not all 1.7s are created equal. Some are a lot more equal than others. :huh:

• Members

I like AMC's 2.0 on Monday the 8th. Maybe they should give David/Erica the Friday cliffhanger every week. ;)

I don't know what I think about AMC, to be honest. I think the writing was better under LB, but her focus seemed to be limited to only a few characters. We've seen that formula fail under other headwriters. Maybe the key that AMC doesn't seem to have is that they need good writing, and BALANCE. Not the same characters on everyday. Or maybe things really are that bad and this is AMC's last dance. I guess only time is going to tell.

• Members

No, I think my guess is right on this one because AMC isn't doing any worse than the other ABC soaps. 165,000 is not a lot of viewers for any soap to lose any given week. Giant weekly fluctuations occur all the time. Now if it was 300,000, that would be out of the norm and even then soaps have bounced back in a week or two. Too many people look at the ratings on a weekly basis and jump to inaccurate conclusions. One or two bad weeks in the overall viewers and its like the sky is falling. It is the overall trend of its 18 to 49 women demos over two or three month period (including sweeps) that gives a better sense of how a soap is doing. AMC has been doing well is its overall viewers, but struggling in its demos. In contrast, Y&R's overall viewers has been down, but it has been doing outstanding in its key demos.

• Members

I would agree. I think the week to week numbers are less telling than comparing the numbers from a year ago.(that is unless every week the soap is losing substantial viewers). And AMC isn't down much over a year ago, where Days has actually gained almost 250,000 viewers and OLTL, B&B, ATWT and GH are down a substantial amount. What's actually impressive about Y&R is that they have basically maintained the same viewing numbers and improved their demo numbers while the rest continue to drop for the most part.

• Members

No your guess would be wrong again.

AMC was at 2,978,000 total viewers at the begninning of January and 744,000 in the major demo, they're down 418,000 in total viewers and down 42,000 in the major demo in just 3 months.

So again tell me that's "overreacting" and yes losing any amount of viewers in a week is NOT good. ABC soaps shouldn't be competing with themselves

• Members

I think the question is is it an overall trend or just a normal fluctuation based on interest. I personally always felt that uptick was more due to the press the show was getting than anything else. It's not like AMC has a gradual building of viewers over months like Days did, it was pretty much over a 6 to 8 week time period. To me they seem to just be settling back into where they were, maybe a tad higher than they might have been without the increase they got from the anniversary and move.

• Members

What JaneAusten said. Also, last week was clearly a down week, but AMC had many strong weeks in between January and now. It may yet reclaim many of those lost overall viewers over the next two to three weeks. In any case, this focus on the overall viewers is fundamentally misguided. AMC's real problem is that its demos are not strong even when it gains overall viewers.

• Members

The most important ratings comparisons are seasonal and over a four-week trend. For example, viewership goes up during last two weeks of year because people are off. Also, January and February tend to be higher rated. April/May not-so-much.

Archived