Y&R: Episodes discussion, week of February7

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This is a soap where a fetus' body was burned in a living fireplace and no one noticed an odd smell,the blood didn't leave a trace, and Ashley's body had no tell-tale sign of having given birth.

Given the fact that Patty took Emily's place before, you'd expect a fingerprint check, DNA on file, a video camera to record Patty's movements keeping an eye on Emily, a guard watching through a window the entire time, etc... Nah... details are for fancy folks. We're just soap fans.

• Members

I tried to figure it out, and I still can't. But here is the recap: (This episode aired 5/14 in Canada, and 5/15 in the US).

Reading this, I'm about 90% sure, since this was May sweeps, that we saw the debut of the still-alive (P3) at the end of that episode. Thus, with Y&R's first bona-fide "back from the dead" story (Both Victor and Kay have done back from the dead, but the audience knew both were never dead), I'm guessing that marked a death-knell.

Let's face it, especially given how the story played out, it was a pretty unnecessary horrible twist.

Indeed, with that recap as a clue, here is what wikipedia confirms:

• Members

Yep that's all what occurred on the 15th of May, 2009. Not only did one of the worst couples in Y&R history happen to get married that day, but the worst storyline in ALL of Y&R history began that day. Y&R had brought other characters back from the dead before (ie, Sheila, Malcolm) but nothing as bad as this or how this was horrifyingly horribly rewritten.

• Members

Pheila was bad, but at least that story wrapped up and wasn't ignored completely as it was phased out.

Phillip came back from the dead to be backburner for like 6 months before he was written off. And in that time, his son came back, and very rarely was he developed as a character, or their father/son relationship.

Phillip should have never been brought back in the first place, you don't mess with one of the most iconic moments in Y&R history. However, if you're going to tell that story, make sure you actually do and play it for all it's worth, this hack and awful writing team chose to do NOTHING with it. So in the end, what f.uck was the point of doing this story? Cane could have easily been exposed as a fraud without bringing Phillip back from the dead. It seems like the only intent of this story was the tell everyone how good Cane is and how we should just look past everything regarding him. It was AWFUL propping of a useless character that will never fit in on this show.

Phillip's return from the dead and the way it was handled left a far more damaging mark on Y&R, its integrity as a show, and its history than the Pheila story ever could.

• Members

Am I the only person rooting for Patty, hoping she can pull this off? Emily was a bitch and medically unethical for playing with Jack. Also, I just really like insane Patty Williams. I want her to pull this off, live her life as Emily, and live happily ever after with Jack. I want viewers just to get used to it, adjust. It can be our little secret (all of us and Patty) and no one in Genoa City (especially Jack) needs to know. I think, in a very sick way, there can be a happy ending for Jack and Patty...I mean Emily!

BTW, where is Mary Williams...was this ever explained? I always liked that mean old bat!

• Members

I recall one mention of Mary between Paul and Todd along the lines that revealing all the Patty stuff would be too much for her.It was intimated that she was not super well.

Doug Davidson said that Carolyn Conwell was approached to return but she was not in the best of health and didn't want to.

• Members

Yeah, for me she's just done too much damage to feel that bad for her. On the other side of the coin, I also don't have a lot of reason to root for Jack and Emily though. I can't really take their love seriously since it happened in a matter of a couple of weeks. I have no earthly idea why these two love each other. Frankly, the show has given me more reason to believe in Lane than it has in this pairing. The only person I'm rooting for in this mess is Paul.

Archived