Y&R: Episode discussion, week of January 18, 2010

• Members

You know, I think Victor first came to town because of Chancellor Industries but that wasn't for too long. I believe it started under LML when Katherine offered Jack the CEO position for Chancellor after being ousted at Jabot by the courts. Chancellor was always a non-entity, I mean I know Katherine owned but when never saw it's inner dealings nor who ran it. In fact I always thought it became some subsidy of Newman.

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I tried to find it on youtube but no such luck. I will work on it. It was very well played by both Tracey Bregman and Jeanne Cooper who rarely share scenes anymore now that Kevin is the chosen one from Lauren's family. It really resonates with the current Kay story.

• Members

But there's a whole other side of who Katherine is that's being completely ignored, because this writing regime doesn't understand the character (or any character on the show). Katherine is both likeable and unlikeable.

And Y&R doesn't need a "center" of the show, and they never needed Katherine in that capacity.

Victor to me right now is just a boring old cartoon, I'm not finding his return to be anything noteworthy.

She was a consultant for Y&R in the early 90's too, and yes, she's Shaughnessy's wife.

No one got fired to replace her, but with the crap Jay Gibson, Tom Casiello, Teresa Zimmerman, Amanda Beall, and Lisa Connor repeatedly turn out, at least one of them should have been fired long ago.

Y&R's dialogue and episode structure is atrocious.

I think Schoettle just wrote the script, I don't think she's doing breakdowns. Slater or Kanelos probably wrote the breakdown.

• Members

I do think Nikki and Katherine had run out of steam by the mid-90s. That was an odd time for the show, although it certainly wasn't bad. Just odd. Nikki and her gynecologist. Katherine having discussions with John about why he should get a facelift (apparently John took her up on quite a few cosmetic procedures...). Kay Alden did a lot to revitalize Katherine's role on the canvas, yet still with a bit of an edge. She helped Nikki too. I have always been a Nikki fan and put up with a lot of stories from her. I "got" her character even when she was being a big boob, like crashing Victor's wedding reception to Hope or going to his "I married Ms. Jenkins" party and announcing her plans to have a baby with her gyno. These days, poor Nikki seems so superfluous. She no longer seems to have any personality or purpose.

• Members

Carl, the real change in Katherine's involvment in Chancellor industries, to me... came about in an organic way.... when Elliot Hampton was exposed for his embezzlement and assorted chicanery. It was after that, she decided to take a more active role so that wouldn't happen again.

• Members

I found today's episode to be boring. Too much Victor and too much of Stacy Haiduk. Two people i'm not a big fan of. I'd rather watch the Tucker McCall/Katherine stuff than the constant redux of Victor telling everyone how they are supposed to live their lives.

• Members

See...they said that when TGVN left in November, but it's not true.

Victor was in town, and abusing Julia, when we first met him. He was sort of islanded in that Julia story.

At some point, as the Julia story petered out, he was shown to be a friend of Douglas...who was already trying to woo Kay away from Derek. As I recall, it was Victor serving as Douglas' second (in the duel against Derek...they briefly discussed this in TGVN's farewell memories) when Victor MET Katherine.

Then, before Kay went on her cruise (and jumped to her death...to be rescued by Cuban resistance member Filipe) I think she asked Victor to keep an eye on Chancellor (serve as CEO). I might have a few facts messed up, but TGVN didn't come to town specifically to work at Chancellor. He already had his own company before he agreed to do that favor for Kay.

Yup. That was a time when we actually saw Chancellor for a while. And again when Rex/P3 worked there.

Yeah, maybe they don't "need" one. I thought Victor has been the center for a long time, actually. But I'm saying it doesn't bother me to have Kay in that role.

Cartoon? ABSOLUTELY. But to me, not boring. The opposite. He's an insane, narcissistic catalyst. He's the moustache twirler from the Restless Style cover (and my avatar).

Thanks!

Oh yes, that weird time just before Bill Bell retired. I remember it well. In retrospect, it seems like we saw the point where his Alzheimers had begun to affect his storytelling. That insta-marriage to Joshua Landers was off the hook.

I agree Nikki has no purpose. Which is sad. Remember when Victoria was having her coma? In that silly storyline, Nikki was the fierce heart and soul of the story--almost as nice as Beth Maitland during Colleen's death. I liked her contrived battle over whether Victoria should be unplugged or not.

But how could they GIVE Nikki purpose? What could they do with her? I enjoyed her as the strong leader of NVP during Victor's epilepsy. That story worked so well for me. I loved Nikki actually having business ideas that she carried to fruition.

Alphanguy, that's a great story! But you realize you have written it in your head, right? (I do this all the time). The show never filled in these blanks.

Archived