Y&R: Episode discussion, week of January 18, 2010

• Replies 301
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, but Malcolm wouldn't just say "I'm engaged". He'd say "Olivia and I are getting remarried".

No, he thinks his fiance is someone they don't all know. But, I strongly suspect, she is someone we know...maybe someone we don't want to know.

Or they could go another direction--one which sadly is NOT out of the question for this show--that would freak out Lily. It could a young lady who is a doppelganger for Colleen.

• Members

I'd love to see Stacey Dash on Y&R! She was very funny in Clueless, sweet and loving on St. Elsewhere, and she was very tough on that circus reality thing which NBC ran last year. I can imagine CK and others getting a good shakeup.

• Members

Ashley and Nikki's little confrontation was so hollow and flat, it's really representative of how all the main feuds, family dynamics, and even friendship dynamics have been completely misunderstood and horribly written with this writing regime.

Both Ashley and Nikki have become such lost characters, and I can;t really say I sympathize with either.

• Members

I thought today was boring until the closing set of scenes. Victor just walking into Tucker's office and sitting down made me laugh, although I can't stand the character.

No wonder the DNA tests are always so screwed up in that town. The courier let Nikki sign for the results even tho she wasn't Katherine. :unsure: Gee, ability to tamper at all????

I enjoyed the scene between Nikki and Ashley. I love that the rivalry is coming back, along with Jill and Kay. That's what soaps are about...or at least should be. Good rivalries.

• Members

The rivalries work when they have believable tension, but when the characters just feud for the sake of the plot, or one is good and the other is wicked (like Jill/Katherine these days), it doesn't work. That's one of the reasons I don't think the show's endless attempts to hype up the chest-bumping between Billy/Adam/Nick/Cane/etc. have worked at all. It's all so transparent and forced.

• Members

I'll buy that Nikki is "flat". The issue is that we don't understand her perspective anymore. What does she want? Why? Why is she with Victor?

I'm reading her portrayal as "the cat that ate the canary" (she thinks she's got everything she ever wanted, and she's not really connecting with her self-doubt right now).

But I would call Ashley anything but flat. She has been on FIRE since she returned to the show, and she has even rescued clunker plots. And right now (even if it springs from denial) she is fierce, strong. For the first time EVER, I'm rooting for Ashley! (I've always loved ED and Ashley, but I never sided with her in the previous Victor-Nikki incursions. And I didn't care about her AT ALL during Epperson's run. And I liked Shattuck, but I still didn't care about Ashley).

Amen on the DNA! I couldn't believe it was handled so casually. Anyway, nowadays, for just this reason, I suspect they'd have password protected secure internet delivery...but what do I know.

I totally agree with you on the bolded parts.

Also, how did DNA tests from three different labs end up in the same envelope? She should have said "Mitchell had these all sent to his office and verified, and then he arranged for them to be couriered to me. I told him not to tell me...I need to see it in black and white".

• Members

I think Ashley is as flat as they come. Though she was backburnt on B&B during her final months there, she came alive there for the first time in years, she does NOT have the same spark on Y&R since her return, IMO.

Ashley Abbott is a very lost character, IMO, like so many others, her storylines are so hollow and just not interesting to me.

I just cannot buy any of the rivalry dynamics on Y&R anymore, this crappy writing regime has completely miswritten and misunderstood them.

Exactly.

• Members

Which is sad because most of us can remember the days when Y&R didn't let fans dictate the stories and the show really was better. That's not to say that fans should be completely ignored by any means, but you can hear what fans have to say without caving to fanbases.

Archived